Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Backfired, Sputtered and Stalled.....

H

hdcwagsvette

After driving my 84 pretty hard for about 10 minutes I came to a stop light. Sat there for about a minute and when I accelerated she backfired and started sputtering. This went on for about a quarter mile then she stalled all together. I let her sit for about and hour and was able to drive home, but with a rough idle. Any ideas what this could be? ;shrug

Could be a lot of things. Jumped timing..clogged fuel filter...bad fuel pump...cracked distributor cap...and the list goes on...Put a timing light on it and see what you get.

Jump timing is the first thing 'm thinkin' too. Was it running VERY near perfect (or better) before???

Do a static timing check. Disconnect the battery, get a breaker bar socket on the crank, spin it to 0 degrees on the damper marks. Then pull the distributor cap, and see if the rotor is just past the #1 contact in the cap, on its way toward #8. If its NOT just past #1, it should be just past #6, headed toward #5.

One or the other, then post back.

The same thing happened to my '93 and I replaced the fuel pump. No more problems. That's not to say this is your problem too. Just letting you know I had the same symptoms and it was the fuel pump.

Makes me think something in the valvetrain. I'd pull the valve covers and have a look-see.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom