Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

0-60 in 5.2 (what? this # got higher with time....)

Corvette
96' LT4
0-60 in 5.2 (what? this # got higher with time......)

Ok, some of you may remember this.............way, way, way, back in late (fall) 95............there was a road test on the 96' GS Cpe...............can't remember the magazine..............but the 0-60 time is forever etched in stone...............it was 4.7 sec.............

Ok, they repeated this test in the spring of 96'............only diff......was they used a collector cpe............it's 0-60 time was 4.9 sec............this difference between the two identical chassis is what helped me remember this...........as well as the fact that these times were even with the the last ZR1. As I recall we had different drivers in different climates and obviously two different lt-4's............

Trust me......... these reports existed............ and I'd fight to the death proving it...(lol). just can't remember the magazine........??Road and Track..............MR Trend??? Definitely and most assuredly not C & D............

So here's the deal.................how come our spec section lists the heavily biased rice burner magazine's road test at 5.2............the only thing I remember at 5.2 was a blonde and......... Alabama's record in '94-95':r :r :r :r :r :r :r :r

I remember reading about the 0-60 times on a GS, and the times were equal to the 1995 LT1... I heard rumors about de-tuned LT4's, so the ZR1 guys wouldn't be upset, and also so GM wouldn't look like a bunch of raging idiots for spending millions developing the LS1... i will find links for you... i remember them blaming the equal times on the wider (and heavier) GS tires

Yo I got the magazine! It was Motor Trend! and yes the GS ran a 4.7 0-60, with a 13.3 109, quarter mile. The Collectos ran a 4.9 0-60, and a 13.3 107, quarter mile time! So I think Motor Trend is more objective to our real refined "Muscle Cars." Everyone else didn't come close! Scott

Now........what we have to do is fix up the spec section of this forum .......I need a copy or a email scan of the aforementioned articles ..........to give to Rob............then we can get rid of the rice burner report at 5.2 put the right reports in there........from an AmericanMag......that likes American Muscle.....not rice ahol........They may build em' (rice burners) to go 350mph......who cares...........?? It's like listening to a soprano singing in yer kitchen.........run like hxxx...........IT WILL NEVER HAVE THE MUSIC OF A V-8!!

One more piece to this rant.......and I'll stop .......and give Heidi a chance.......
Did ya ever wonder how in the world a 330HP car.........with a 3:45 box...........the same package weight.......and tranny.......could equal the times of 405HP car.........with a 3:45 box...........the same package weight.......and tranny.......??? Well, two things here......first: the LT4 ain't 330hp..............and second: it takes the 32valve stern drive lotus merc cruiser a day and a half to wind up..........

Of course GM didn't want to insult the 95' LT5 buyers that just plopped 75k down...........w/96'LT4 loaded at just under 50k.........but you know what? .......they did................and they'll do it again.........it's called marketing........

I really am glad you both cleared that up...........that explains why I was able to blow off a ZR car right after I got mine in 96' .....Of course he didn't know how to drive either.........

Sorry for the long rant.........but I am kind of fond of my little red corvette.............
lach.gif

Can you scan them and post? I would like to read it:) I thought all of the magazines had bad numbers... glad one of them didn't!!! ;worship

Yeah I looked in the back of the magazine. It had reports of all the performance times of the cars. I don't have a scanner so I'll try to find one. Oh also in the back it had a Camaro SLP with an LT4 that ripped off a 13.2 quarter mile! Give me some time to scanit! Later Scott

thanks........looking forward to seeing that again.........or course ....one of us could break down and contact Motor Trend for a copy of the archived edition................jd:J :J :J :J :J

Ya got to luv the LT4's Performance !!! :_rock

What's the best 0-60 & 1/4 mile times anyone's put together with their LT4 ?

Never had mine to a strip, hopefully I can make it to 1 next year.

All I'll say ..............is: It is still a snake eater..........tropical or mongoose food..............if ya catch my humor.......:w

Time

Hell Yeah! I think we should! It was pure accident that I had one. We need to give Motor Trend their props! They weren't afraid to report the truth! Something most people don't want to know! "They can't handle the truth!" Scott

so do we do the scissors........scissors...........cut deal or play acey ducey to figure out who wil make the connection..............:Roll :Roll :Roll :Roll :Roll :Roll :w

We delt and . . .

lt4 gs said:
so do we do the scissors........scissors...........cut deal or play acey ducey to figure out who wil make the connection..............:Roll :Roll :Roll :Roll :Roll :Roll :w

U lost, it's your call :upthumbs

k......we need both issue #'s and dates.............for MR's ......then some one .......maybe even me........will contact them........
coffee.gif

The issue I have is June 1998, Motor Trend. The road test review according to the magazine for the GS was 11/95. The Collectors was tested 5/96. The SS Camaro LT4 was tested 2/97. Anything else guys? Scott

Fugitive said:
The issue I have is June 1998, Motor Trend. The road test review according to the magazine for the GS was 11/95. The Collectors was tested 5/96. The SS Camaro LT4 was tested 2/97. Anything else guys? Scott
Well...that narrows it down...............can you copy it and scan it.........or no?? If not I'll contact MT to see about obtaining archives.....jd

It's hard for me to scan it I haven't yet bought one. I'll try to find someone. Yeah it's important to note that the issue I have has the performance times in the performance review in the back of the magazine. It's not a featured article. I think we need back issues of the featured articles on the Collectors and the Grand Sport. Keep smokin Boxers and 911's! Scott

Here is how we do it.....................

How do I order a magazine back issue?
BACK ISSUES FROM AUGUST 2001 TO PRESENT
Contact The Direct Source, 800/429-0106

BACK ISSUES FROM 1993 to JULY 2001
Please send your request by mail to our editorial offices at: Motor Trend/Truck Trend, Attn: Back Issues, 6420 Wilshire Blvd., 7th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90048-5515. PLEASE CALL FIRST to ensure that we have the issue available (323/782-2220). Our editorial office retains most Motor Trend back issues published as of January 1993 and later and most Truck Trend back issues published as of February 1998 and later. Back issues cost $8.00 each, and can be purchased only by check or money order. When making your request, please indicate the month and year of the back issue you would like to receive and make sure to include your return address.

BACK ISSUES PRIOR TO 1993
If the Motor Trend (only Motor Trend) issue you desire was published prior to 1993, please send an e-mail to Del Fisher (delfi@attbi.com) who maintains a sizeable collection of Motor Trend magazines dating back to the earlier days of our publication. He can provide a catalog of all his offerings for $3.00. If you prefer, you can send Del a request via snail mail at:

Back-Issue Car Magazines
P.O. Box 170243
Arlington, TX 76003

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom