Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

01 z06 burning oil

rosco287

Corvette
01 Zo6 yellow
My 01 Z06 burns oil like crazy. I know this was an old issue with these cars. I saw where there was a dealer fix. Was this a formal recall or only when complained about. Does anyone know how long they will honor this fix. The car has 31,000 miles. Any help would be great.

My 01 Z06 burns oil like crazy. I know this was an old issue with these cars. I saw where there was a dealer fix. Was this a formal recall or only when complained about. Does anyone know how long they will honor this fix. The car has 31,000 miles. Any help would be great.

No recall, but in certain conditions with the vehicle under warranty GM (not the dealer) would fix it it through an authorized dealer. Multiple oil consumptions tests through the dealer had to be done to verify the issue, and then submitted to GM for any possible warranty. If memory serves me correctly only the compression rings were replaced, but it is a big job requiring engine removal and tear down. Call GM customer service's toll free number in the back of your owners manual and tell them your issue to see if they can possibly help, I doubt they will since the vehicle is out of warranty, but not at least asking will make it absolute. Good luck with it. :)

I don't remember widespread trouble with 01 LS6es and oil consumption although I do remember complaints about cold piston knock. In fact revisions to piston-to-bore clearance and a new piston were introduced for 2002.

There was never a recall.

With your car 13 years out of warranty, unfortunately, it's highly unlikely that GM will repair the engine.

Before I'd do anything, I'd attempt to ascertain if the oil use is a piston ring problem or a valve stem seal problem.

First check your plugs for deposits. One can learn a lot by reading the plugs.

Bad rings leave oil on the cylinder walls which is burnt with the fuel and air. It will leave an easy to read message on the plug(s).

An old time test, accelerate in second and let off it. De-accelerating from a high rpm creates a strong vacuum which will suck oil past the valves. Accelerate again and you'll see smoke. The longer you de-accelerate before you hit it again, the more blue smoke you'll see. It is an old hillbilly trick, but the engineering behind it is basically sound.

Good luck..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom