Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1/4 Mile Times

V

VetpEtte

Hey I went to the track today with my 91 and got a 14.1 in the 1/4 with 99mph top speed. My car also weighed in at 3290 lbs.
What have u guys got recently?

Last mo. I did a 13.998 @ 97.96 mph. They wouldn't let me run anymore because a convertable under 14.0 needs a roll bar or the hard top. I have an A4 with 2.59 axle. Temperature was in the 70's, but engine still heats up sitting in line.

VetpEtte said:
Hey I went to the track today with my 91 and got a 14.1 in the 1/4 with 99mph top speed. My car also weighed in at 3290 lbs.
What have u guys got recently?

What mods have you done?
A4 or M6?

89 Auto 1/4 mile ET's

Ok, lets start by me saying that warren's 95 "factory" Vette running 13.4's is full of chit. (NO OFFENSE Man) your vette should be running 14.1 to drop to 13.4 your pushing around 375HP .... I'm a Corvette owner,and race my friends at the track 24/7. I know when some BS's. They run LS1 F bodies...Z06 clutches, gears, headers, intakes, etc...and run 13.0's. they started with WS6 6sp TA's. mind you 320HP which is UNDERATED from GM. stock they run 13.7's or 13.5's. I"m sorry if this sounds mean, but i dont like people who lie about what they have under the hood:) lol.

89 L98 Automatic (700R4 w/factory 1,200RPM stall)
2.59 rear axle Dana 36
Stg II B&M shift upgrade
intake, exhuast, ignition +4 Bosch, etc.MSD
Factory Throttle body/headers/runners/cam...all factory except bolt on's... 13.710 @101.1MPH High Humidity/summer in FL HOT temp!

I wouldn't tell someone they are full of BS unless you are running at the same track at the same time as they are. At one track I used to run at a lot, My car would run terrible times... Trying to break past even the 13.5 barrier at this track seemed impossible for everyone with near stock cars... same car (93 LT1 at the time), same weather, different track (gainesville raceway, home of the gatornationals) much better times for all cars... I have seen bone stock LT1 6 speed cars run 13.2's. LT4's in the high 12's.... you don't know the conditions or the track, then you don't know what a good or bad time is for it.

I do believe his post stated "mostly stock",I ran 13.6 with LT-1,auto,with Fastchip and some other addons, so it is not impossible to track that time,Like stated, Temps, track and conditions play a big factory, and how you launch and drive the vehicle........:beer

My friend's 94 auto vert with just GEARS (3.54) ran a best of 13.23@ 105

My 89 ran a best of 12.82@110 without tuning the ECM

Yep, actually twice. 13.23@105.45 & 13.25@105.91mph.
That was with the gear only, on street tires.
The engine is bone stock.

just FYI check out where he is from. The elevation in NY is great for drag racing, he is probably running at E-Town. The guys run great numbers there so low 13's is VERY possible on a bone stock 95 or 96.

1/4 mile times.

I didn't mean to rude or ***** about it....i was just saying i was very amazed at that time. I"m from SW FL. HIGH humidity and hot weather. I didn't think weather made that big of a diff. My buddies all have 98+ LS1 TA WS6s. I've also know a few guys in town that run vettes, but like i said... I witnessed them runing 14.1's......with intake/mufflers 6spd. We usually run at this time....summer. The modified LS1's were running 13.7's factory...roughly, and 13.0's with a lot of mods... and my little brother had 97Z LT Auto....3.42 or sommin... he ran 14.2 with Borla Exhuast....40k miles....and intake. My Auto 2.59 89 vette ran 13.70's....with a few mods...i know they are slow as chit cars factory.

OK, If you want to really hear one that most of you won't believe....my street legal, all steel, full interior (tuck & roll) '68 camaro (3400 race weight - includes me) 3.73 gears, auto (350 t/h), powered by naturally asperated, no nos, STRAIGHT SIX runs 12.80's @106. It is seriously not stock though.....And is a ton of fun to pop the hood and see a big block drivers jaw drop because he just got his doors blowed off by a six banger ! LOL.

13.526 @ 102.68 :) /w Vortex RAM Air, removed MAF screen, TB Bypass, 160 Thermostat, sensor relocator, and All Synthetic Fluids. I think I can get a 13.2-13.3 with a good run. I can't get traction at the track. http://www.chicagolandspeedway.com/rte66/scripts/home.html
Put in new Bosch +4's and Magnecore 8.5mm wires since last time, but I don't think it'll make much difference. Next year, I hope to put in MSD Ingition, Headers, Exhaust, and Reprogram chip.

-JimS

Hey Jim how has Test n Tune been out at 66 this year ?
I haven't made it out there for fear they won't let me run with my vert.
The Magnecor wires look nice, I was thinking about those next time I need wires.

Try and find a used exhaust, I bought my B&B (3") for less than half the cost of a new one and it was in great shape. I'm glad because I saw no gain at the track with it. Maybe with long tubes & no cats you would see better results.
So far the best money I have spent is on the gear & the drag radials.
Get yourself a set they will help alot.

I went to the opening day for Test n Tune and it was packed. I got there at 10:00 and left at 4:00 and took 2 passes. The following week I went there on a Tuesday @ 4:00 and took about 12 passes. I haven't been back since. I've been waiting for the weather to cool down. We are planning to go on the 10th of Sept. I'd give them a call if you are not sure about the vert. I could have sworn I've seen some verts running. I think if you are sub 12's there will be an issue cuz they require a cage. You are right about the drag radials, I can't keep the tires from spinning.

Thanks for the advise about getting a used exhaust. I've been looking on ebay, but haven't found anything yet. I'll run no cats with the exhaust I buy, I'm thinking Corsa or Borla. I also need to find some longtubes for my 95'. I am getting a gear as well. I forgot my bro-in law is buying that for me through a guy that he sells parts for.

-JimS

MSD ignition

Hey JimS,

I've been doing some research on that ignition. I don't think
it does much for a mostly stock car. Most people that run them
have nitrous or supercharging. And, I hear they shorten the
life of the Optispark.

a

That's the first time I've heard that about the MSD. Thanks! I figure right now I'm at about 315 HP at the fly wheel. With headers, exhaust, and reprograming, I was hoping to be at about 350-360 HP at the fly wheel. Could you send me the links for the MSD that you've been looking at? I just had the opti replaced cuz my water pump failed. Maybe the cash is better spent on a 52mm TB instead of the MSD.

-JimS

JimS said:
I'd give them a call if you are not sure about the vert. I could have sworn I've seen some verts running. I think if you are sub 12's there will be an issue cuz they require a cage.

I'm running consistent 13.30's right now, I'll be putting a converter in soon and should drop into the high 12's. Rt66 is NHRA sanctiond and I'm pretty sure verts running faster than 13.99 need a roll bar.

As far as the exhaust is concerned, I just can't see spending around a grand for a new cat back when you're not going to see much gain from it. I got my B&B for $500 with about 3k miles it was like new condition. Keep looking, there are some good deals out there.

You are right that you need a roll cage in a vert at 13.99, I just called there. That sucks! Were in Warrenville are you. My Pops lives in West Chicago at 59 & 64. I met -=Jeff=- from this fourm in Bartlett and a few of his friends in the spring. He was putting headers on his 89'. This is my first car I can actually do some work on. It good to hear suggestions, especially from people who have done it themselves.

Thanks for the advise on the exhaust, I really don't want to spend a grand. I'll keep looking. I won't need it until the spring anyways.

-JimS

MSD from personal experience, doesn't do anything... LT1/4 already have a good system for even 400+ hp. A 52MM throttle body is a much better investment... an even better investment is roller rockers!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom