Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1954 Corvair Fastback Project Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

53 Blue Flame

Well, I'm not too shy to post pictures of my Fastback project. Here are some pics of the roofline.

This concept and build was my vision and desire. I had started this venture with another person. (Checkout the old CF threads) Shortly after the molds were made, I cut ties with the other person for.......

Bob Mangold, Back To The Future Products, had the same dream. He had made a deal to come to IN to make a mold from the foam/resin roofline. Bob and I worked at my shop for an entire month in Sept 2008, smoothing out the roofline lumps and prepping it for a mold. We made one mold for Bob and one mold for me. After Bob returned to WA state, I made a mold of the roofline for the other person and delivered it to his house with him. There were a total of three molds made at that time.

WINDSHIELD
I designed the windshield frame assembly that has been incorporated into the roof. It was basically a 1955 Chevy design. I had a windshield frame cut from a donor car, which was then narrowed and sectioned to fit the Corvette body.

DASH ENDS
The dash ends are basically 56-57, in order for the door and dash to meet together with no interferance. This is the same design as Bruce Igulden's 1954 GM Motorama Hardtop car. GM used the same concept for the doors and dash ends.

DOORS
I also designed the door configuration. The doors are part 53-55 and 56-60. The fronts of the doors had to match the dash ends and the door shell had to be 56-60 specific in order to fit the window assemblies.

ROOFLINE
This fine work was done by an old pattern maker in Plymouth, IN. It was made from builders foam and fiberglass resin/mat. He did a wonderful job from pictures and measurements. He should be acknowledged for his talents.
If you notice, the roofline is the same geometry as the 1958 Impala Sport Coupe. Much of the trim is of the same contour.

Here are a few pictures of the mold making process. Enjoy.

This pic is after the smoothing out process. Lots of long boarding.
2mcyfkj.jpg

This is a pic of the rear of the roofline mold in gelcoat, prior to the mat and cloth being applied.
vhylx4.jpg

This is a pic of the front of the mold in gelcoat, prior to the mat and cloth being applied.
i5ahop.jpg

Here is a pic of the trunk lid mold in orange gelcoat.
2hxwxtc.jpg

More pictures to come as the build progresses.

Well, I'm not too shy to post pictures of my Fastback project. Here are some pics of the roofline.

This concpet and build was my vision and desire. I had started this venture with another person. (Checkout the old CF threads) Shortly after the molds were made, I cut ties with the other person for.......

Bob Mangold, Back To The Future Products, had the same dream. He had made a deal to come to IN to make a mold from the foam/resin roofline. Bob and I worked at my shop for an entire month in Sept 2008, smoothing out the roofline lumps and prepping it for a mold. We made one mold for Bob and one mold for me. After Bob returned to WA state, I made a mold of the roofline for the other person and delivered it to his house with him. There were a total of three molds made at that time.

WINDSHIELD
I designed the windshield frame assembly that has been incorporated into the roof. It was basically a 1955 Chevy design. I had a windshield frame cut from a donor car, which was then narrowed and sectioned to fit the Corvette body.

DASH ENDS
The dash ends are basically 56-57, in order for the door and dash to meet together with no interfearance. This is the same design as Bruce Igulden's 1954 GM Motorama Hardtop car. GM used the same concept for the doors and dash ends.

DOORS
I also designed the door configuration. The doors are part 53-55 and 56-60. The fronts of the doors had to match the dash ends and the door shell had to be 56-60 specific in order to fit the window assemblies.

ROOFLINE
This fine work was done by an old pattern maker in Plymouth, IN. It was made from builders foam and fiberglass resin/mat. He did a wonderful job from pictures and measurements. He should be acknowledged for his talents.
If you notice, the roofline is the same geometry as the 1958 Impala Sport Coupe. Much of the trim is of the same contour.

Here are a few pictures of the mold making process. Enjoy.

This pic is after the smoothing out process. Lots of long boarding.
2mcyfkj.jpg

This is a pic of the rear of the roofline mold in gelcoat, prior to the mat and cloth being applied.
vhylx4.jpg

This is a pic of the front of the mold in gelcoat, prior to the mat and cloth being applied.
i5ahop.jpg

Here is a pic of the trunk lid mold in orange gelcoat.
2hxwxtc.jpg

More pictures to come as the build progresses.

Cool pictures! The red part is the rear part of the frame???

Which pic are you looking at, Jim?

Thanks

The orange gel coated trunk lid is sitting on a saw horse with foam rubber. That may be what you are seeing.

The rear of the car is a maroon color. Is that what you're seeing?

I made three molds. There are at least four now. I don't need to compete with anyone.

Yes, yes, yes!! You Sir, do some of the most amazing work! My favorite Concept Corvette of all times. That is how General should have done it when they had the chance. :beer:beer:beer:beer

I really need to start saving my pennies...

Thanks, Jay. Being very fond of automotive history, I'm excited to do this build. I'm actually going to do mine and one for a customer, in tandem. I'm in no hurry. I want them to be as perfect as possible.

One day, I hope to be able to find a GS for the price that you did. THAT...will be one great driving car when you're done. :thumb

Thanks, Jay. Being very fond of automotive history, I'm excited to do this build. I'm actually going to do mine and one for a customer, in tandem. I'm in no hurry. I want them to be as perfect as possible.

One day, I hope to be able to find a GS for the price that you did. THAT...will be one great driving car when you're done. :thumb

So, who are you going to build the third one then? ;shrug:D Keep us mortals posted, even if it takes awhile. :thumb

I helped a friend put together a 58 for the legendary Carrera Panamericana. I took only 5 weeks to do a complete body off/race car conversion/ Jim meyer suspension on it. I was amazed that it made it and it made it through the race too! That's what I want to do with the GS once I get it done.

Here's link to my friend site: http://www.leningradcowboysracing.com/index.html

That's pretty cool. A race car can be a lot of fun. I hope to do Historics and Track Days once my C4 Morrison #99 is back together.

I have no plans to build a third Fastback (I hate the word Corvair for some reason?) at this point. After my completely stock Fastback is done, I may build a street rod for myself. SRII frame, C5 drivetrain, etc.. I suppose I would build another for a customer if someone wanted me to.

I'd steer them toward Bob Mangold first. He will make a good car, if someone wants one.

The third one may be for me. I will help you make the fastbacks (3) just in case I decide to do one for myself. I would want it all original as it can be made.

The third one may be for me. I will help you make the fastbacks (3) just in case I decide to do one for myself. I would want it all original as it can be made.

I'll take your help. At least you know to mix hardener with the resin before brushing it on the matt. ;LOL

Here's a couple of pics of the trunk mold.
Outside of trunk mold.
9sx8bc.jpg

Inside of trunk mold surface. This will be the outside surface of the trunk panel once produced.
vy6ott.jpg

Thanks for sharing Brett, your talent on these projects is amazing, keep the pics comming.

Gary :beer

If I don't have a trailer to bring the Fastback to Kissimmee in January, I'll probably bring a roofline/trunk panel for display purposes. I'll be posting pics of the roofline glued to the 54 I'm building this month.

If I don't have a trailer to bring the Fastback to Kissimmee in January, I'll probably bring a roofline/trunk panel for display purposes. I'll be posting pics of the a roofline glued to the 54 I'm building this month.

Borrow one!:upthumbs

Mike Terry and I are pulling his trailer with one of his cars to sell.

He has a nice 61 and 67 coupe both for sale. If I can find someone else to trailer the car down and back, I'll bring the whole car. If not, I'll just bring one of the roofline/trunk panels for display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom