Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1961 color choice

harland

Corvette
1961 fawn beige convertible
I am finally nearing the paint phase of my 1961 Corvette. I will try to be brief. It was originally a fawn beige car. I admire the correctly restored examples, but I don't care for the metallic metal gold interior. I had mine redone in handsome tan leather/vinyl. The fawn metallic shade just didn't harmonize with the tan vinyl conv top or interior, so I decided on a pale beige that is really pretty. I was aiming for a 'monochromatic look' like many newer cars have.
Well, the body is so nice-the car body apparently was never hit-per the experienced body man-and it is 'good enough' for black. So now I am considering black for the exterior color-will match nicely with the beige int and top--and probably have greater resale.
I am not doing this car for resale-if so I am really underwater already!-has a small block 283, 4 speed in it -nothing fancy to excite the Bloomington auction bidders.Other than the interior changes, the only modification is a dual chamber master brake cylinder. But, I was treated for cancer, am 63 and have to be realistic that cars eventually do get resold. So my question is, would a really nice black paint job enhance the resale value of my car -versus the incorrect, though pretty, beige?

paint it whatever you like to paint it. Don't worry so much about the value of original paint. I would paint it what you like to paint it and hopefully you pick a color that sells when you want to sell it.

I always like black with silver coves...

thanks for the comments. I think I will go with the black exterior for overall nice appearance. regards. Harland

Harland, If you like black,then paint it black. The white will go good with tan. You can look at mine under General Discussion, My 61 is alive again. Ace

Black would be nice on your car. If that is what you like do it.
Black has been very popular on the auction block the last couple of years also.

Thanks for the remarks. I guess I am concerned that Corvette enthusiasts are pretty rigid when it comes to color-not much flexibility unless you are building a custom job but then you lose the potential interest of many others. The top is tan that harmonizes with the interior. would look nice with the tan-or could easily be changed to black by another. regards, Harland-I agree that Black always draws interest.

Harland, I'm not sure it really matters what color you paint the car -- so, I'd pick something that you will be happy with. I don't believe that the '61 originally came with a Beige top or interior so you have already lost the Corvette "Purists."

Personally, I always thought the Maroon cars looked really good with the Beige top and interiors.

Ron

good points about the tan top and interior. I guess I was thinking 'aesthetics' and I am leaning towards black being perenially popular while beige has been more of a period popularity color-like the early 1980's. regards, Harland

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom