Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1963 Split Window

M

Mark B

I may have the opportunity to purchase a 1963 Corvette with the split rear window. The car has no drive train. Is there anything model specific to the motor and transmission for this year or does it use common chevrolet gear. Also what would I expect to pay. The body is good all exterior chrome is there. The interior needs work.

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. The original engine had the car's serial number on the flat surface in front of the right head along with a production code. Other engine accessories were coded too and would have to be correct if you are looking to restore the car for NCRS judging. If you just want to build a nice driver or non-original show car you can use any small block Chevy or even a big block. A new crate motor would be a good choice also.

Personally I'd ask questions and try to locate the original engine and trans even if I didn't want to use it now. Having it would increase the value of the car should you ever want to sell it.

As for value that depends on the condition. If the body is really nice and the frame isn't rusted it should be in the mid teens. More if it was an original fuelie; less if just a base motor car. Look in Hemmings, Corvette and Chevy Trader and others to see what similar cars ar being sold for. Then try to figure out how much you will invest in the car to get it where you want it. It will always take much more than you figure.

Got any pictures?

Tom

Thanks for the info. As for cost of repair beyond what you plan or figure on, I am restoring a 1951 Ford Woodie and the costs are running just a bit more than expected....Whew!!:eek

Obviously you are not afraid to take on a big job. I had an uncle that bought a '49 Ford woody new. By the time he was done with it the sheet metal was severely rusted and the wood was in bad shape. It sat in his garage for 20 years or so, he wouldn't sell it to anyone in the family. Then one day shortly before he died he had it towed away. Never saw it again.

Tom

Someone probably pulled it out of a salvage yard, took 3-5 years to restore it to Dearborn Standards and sold it for 50+. Life goes on.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom