Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1965 Brake upgrade

twoseater

Corvette
1965 Blue Vert, 1980 White Coupe
Hello - I've decided its time to make the car a bit safer and convert from a single master cylinder to a dual. Car is a 1965 with Disc Brakes, no power steering, no power brakes.

I struggled with what to do such as adding power brakes, just replacing the Master Cylinder or going with HydraBoost.

It apprears that the Hydraboost requires powersteering, which would set me back around $1200 or so for a kit. So, I've ruled that out but that looks like a great option if I had powersteering, albeit expensive.

As far as adding power brakes with a booster, its a 327 and the previous owner put in a new cam. So, to be honest, I don't know if I have the Vacuum to run a booster.

Based on this, I decided to go with a dual master cylinder and power nothing. (If people have a different opinion or my conclusions are wrong please let me know!)

The conversion kit that I'm looking at is from CSSB. There appears to be two different kits: Dual MC Conv 2 Pc 65-66 Disc or Dual MC Conv.65-66 Disc.

Anyone know what the two piece refers to? I need to figure out what is correct for my application. I'm not an expert mechanic, but can get around. That is why I prefer kits as I have the expectation that it should be bolt on with no mods.

Also, my understanding is that I do NOT need a proportioning valve and that Corvettes up to 67 do not need them due to the brake design.

Anyone else use this kit - any comments about the install?

My '67 big block coupe had manual brakes with the dual mc and they worked very well. It seems like you could just mount the '67 mc checking to see if the push rod is the same length and use the mc brake lines for the '67 and you'd be done. Do you have a web site for the kits you are considering so we can see what they include?

Tom

It looks to like the the kits are the same except for the long front to rear line. The 1 kit is a one piece front to rear line as factory installed and the 2 pc. kit has a 2 pc. front to rear line that whould be easier to install. It will have a union in it someplace but if tightened snuggly it should never be a problem.

You might call and verify that before ordering.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom