Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1965 fresh air vent

brumbach

Corvette
1965 convertible
My fresh air vent on the passenger side is not functioning properly. A collection of leaves, pine needles, etc., exist. Also it appears the little vent door is off its hinges thus not allowing it to fully close or open. I'd like to disassemble and correct but looks like I'll have to do some major disassembly under the dash first to accomplish. Can anyone tell me exactly how much disassembly is necessary and the procedures thereof to do these repairs?

It is really quite simple. It is easier to see what is going on if you first remove the kick panel carpet. Then you have to remove the plastic grill which is fastened with screws. The bracket for the cable also screws to the plastic grill and the cable has a loop end which slides over a post on the door.

The vent door pivots on a pin which snaps into the fiberglass duct area. As I remember, you just slide the assembly up and the lower pin will come out of the hole....it is really that simple. While you have it apart it is a perfect time to replace the rubber flap on the door for a better seal, and also to lubricate the cable.

When re assembling, screw the grill back in place first, theh fish the loop on the cable over the post and secure the bracket to the grill with the screw. The bracket is slotted which allows for adjustment, to be sure you are fully open when you want yet fully closed for those cool days.

I'm sorry, I wasn't specific enough. Getting the grill off is my problem. The top and rear fastening screws are not accessible. I assume the large black box (heater core, I assume) is blocking those screws. Must I remove this box first and if so, how involved is this?

A couple of the right side screws are hard to get at. I used a 1/2" long philips bit in a ratchet made for screwdrive tips, and finally got those two screws out.

skids said:
A couple of the right side screws are hard to get at. I used a 1/2" long philips bit in a ratchet made for screwdrive tips, and finally got those two screws out.
. . . . or get an offset screwdriver for a couple of bucks at Autozone or O'Reilly's or similar.

;)

brumbach said:
My fresh air vent on the passenger side is not functioning properly. A collection of leaves, pine needles, etc., exist. Also it appears the little vent door is off its hinges thus not allowing it to fully close or open. I'd like to disassemble and correct but looks like I'll have to do some major disassembly under the dash first to accomplish. Can anyone tell me exactly how much disassembly is necessary and the procedures thereof to do these repairs?
On my 65 I had the same issues....After I removed both sides I went hunting and found all kinds of gack inside the duct area including a radiator cap ..some business cards and a 1/4 inch drive ratchet wrench from the sixties..(Craftsman)..and itstiil works..:L

Thanks guys. I'll look for the proper tools to fix the problem. Maybe I'll find some hidden treasures when I disassemble too.

brumbach said:
Thanks guys. I'll look for the proper tools to fix the problem. Maybe I'll find some hidden treasures when I disassemble too.
Before you take the insides apart, remove the right cowl vent grille (outside) and stick a shop vac hose down the outside of the duct. You may save yourself a lot of trouble. The sheet shown in the following link has some mistakes in it but provides a good view of what is under the fiberglass.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/513132/LeakSource.jpg

Dave
:beer

Excellent photos, Dave - most folks don't know about the cowl side drain holes, and it doesn't take much to plug them up; when they get blocked, the runoff water from the cowl plenums just rises in the cavity until it reaches the bottom of the hole for the air vent grille, and then "wicks" down the carpet.

:beer

brumbach said:

I fixed the right side vent in my '65 this past spring.

The bottom pivot pin is solid and it sits in a blind hole in the bottom of the vent housing. The bottom hole retains the pin. The top pin is spring loaded retractable and it goes through an open hole in the top. What happens here is the blind hole on the bottom wears through the plastic housing and lets the door drop down, dis-engaging the top pin. Then the door will not open or close.

I short cut the fix quite a bit. I didn't want to take the housing out so I crimped "something" around the bottom pin, andded a washer under it to get the right installed height and popped it back in the original holes. Works fine.

Man, you guys must have really small hands! And being simple? I run and hide when told it is simple. LOL. I replaced both cables to the vents on my '65 some time ago and nothing was simple. In fact, the left side cable has now decided to "jump" off the vent and become useless again. It must have originally had some sort of keeper on top to keep that from happening.
:confused

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom