Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1970 Convertible with 4-speed and 350 Hp 350 For Sale for $14,500

hzl6cm

Corvette
1970 Laguna Grey Convert., '04 Z06
I've got way too many vehicles (toys, projects, etc.) so I am looking at selling some of them so I have enough room in the garages to work on the projects. One of the cars I am selling is my 1970 Laguna Grey Corvette Stingray convertible. The car is a good driver with a nice solid engine, it is not fully restored or numbers matching so it’s a car you can feel comfortable with driving down to the store or blasting through the country roads in - plus it is a whole lot cheaper. The car is equipped with a 4-speed transmission, power steering, power brakes and tinted windshield (sorry, no tilt and no AC).

The cars engine was originally equipped with a 350 Hp, 380 ft-lbs torque V8 but the engine was damaged by a previous owner and was replaced with a new block several years ago (I don't remember the exact date but I have all the receipts at home). When they did this work they installed a new cam shaft, 10.5:1 pistons (in place of the original 11:1 ones), Edelbrock aluminum intake and Edelbrock carburetor so the horsepower and torque should be about the same as the original. When I bought the car it had a GM HEI distributor but since that didn't have a tach drive I replaced it with an N.O.S. Corvette distributor and installed a Crane electronic ignition, high energy coil, silicone plug wires and Bosche platinum plugs. This setup enables the car to run on 91 octane premium without pinging. I bought the car about 5 years ago and was told that the engine had about 5,000 miles on it and I have maybe put 2,000 miles on it since I bought it. The engine runs very strong and uses no oil and does not smoke at all. The only other work I have done on the engine is to install a new alternator and replace the headers with new ones that are coated inside and out with Jet-Hot’s silver ceramic coating. The engine always starts right up, even after sitting for a long time. The car seems to run nice and cool. It had an electric fan when I bought it but that was undersized so I installed a used factory style mechanical fan and fan clutch and removed the fuse for the electric fan (the fan is still there as a back-up. The clutch works well and the transmission linkage is nice and tight. The car has a 3:08 rear end ratio which works well with the 70 mph speed limit. The car still breaks the tires loose easily under initial acceleration but it is only turning over about 2800 rpm at 70 mph.

The body is in good condition, the paint looks good from 10 feet away but the car is a survivor so there are assorted minor nicks and scratches and some spotting on the paint. At least part of the car has been repainted the original color. As you’ve probably noted the hood isn’t original for that year but is a factory Corvette hood with the factory insulation and cold air intake, I guess it is from about a ’73 Corvette. The story I got is that one of the previous owners replaced the hood after the original wiper door jammed and burnt out the wiper motor – this hood replaces the original hood and wiper door.

I'm going to have to finish this description later (I've got to do some work). Below is the only picture I have with me - I will post more this weekend. My price is $14,500 firm and the car is located in Odessa, Missouri, just east of Kansas City - fly in I'' pick you up and you can drive it home!

Corvettes.jpg

1970 Corvette for sale - Pictures

Below should be some more pictures of the car (the ones of the engine compartment and the one with the Z06 give the truest picture of the color - the Laguna Grey looks good but is hard to photograph properly in the sunlight):
Corvette_front.jpg

Corvette_engine.jpg

Corvette_rear_quarter.jpg

Corvette_front_quarter.jpg

Corvette_id_plate.jpg

Corvette_VIN.jpg

Corvette_dash.jpg

Corvette_engine_right.jpg

Corvette_side.jpg

1970 Corvette for sale - More details and pictures

Here are some more details on the body and interior plus there should be some interior shots and a shot from underneath below. The body is in basically good condition. The only cracks I can see is a small one a couple of inches long in the top of the left fender alongs side the engine compartmet (it is visible in the photo of the left side of the engine compartment - it basically makes a small rectangle with the engine compartment opening) and a small one about 3/4 of an inch long in the hood right above the air cleaner (I assume somebody used too tall of air cleaner bolt and closed the hood on it). The bumpers are in good shape for a driver, they are good and straight but there is some wear in the chrome and one small place in the front bumper where a small piece has flaked off. There isn't any rust or major pitting so they could easily be rechromed. The convertible top is tan and is in great shape and opens and closes easily, though I hardly ever have it up. All the glass is good, the car has the original tinted windshield and "Astro ventilation" side windows. The factory ralley wheels are in excelent condition - they basically look new, and really look goo with the grey paint. The tires are in very good condition and the spare is in good shape also. The only real problem with the body is that some of the body mounting pads need to be replaced to properly shim the body to line up the door gaps. The tops of the doors are too close to the body at the top of the back of the doors so that the doors, especially the passenger one, are hard to close. The top back edge of the passenger door touches the body and the driver side is close. It has been that way ever since I got the car and I have never got around to messing with the body mounting pads.

The interior is black with vinyl seats. Basically it is all original so the seat part of the driver seat has split some around the stiching but everything else is in good shape. The part of the counsel around the shifter is is in real good condition and all of the lettering is in real good shape, there is one small crack on the top of the rear part where you rest your arm. The instruments are in very good condition and aren't faded, they all work well except for the clock. The radio is an aftermarket unit that doesn't work, it did when I bought it but I disconnected and removed the ugly looking amplifier that was stuck between the seats - I would rather listen to the sweet sounding exhaust anyway! There is an aftermarket set of MAM speakers behind the seats. There is one small(1 inch) crack in the dash in the passenger side speaker grill area right at the base of the windshield where it isn't really visible. Also, one small panel is missing from the passenger side of the coounsel in the footwell area. The door panels are in good condition. The heater and defroster work fine. The headlights go up and down, though I noticed the other day that the left side on has gotten slow. The brake lights and turn signals work. The only real interior problems are the wipers and the dash lights don't work and the driver side window crank mechanism is loose so it is a little hard to roll the window up and down. The odometer dose not work, it shows 38,xxx miles on it. The person I bought it from said that it had about 5,000 more miles on it than what are showing and I haven't put more than 2,000 miles on it in the 5 years I have had it. So my best guess is that the car has 45 to 50,000 miles on it.

Like I said, this car is basically a driver, one that you could hop in to and drive anywhere you want. I am not in a big hury to sell it so I am not really intersted in other offers. If I don't get what I want I will just hang on to it. Here are mor pictures (the underside one is from the front passenger side looking back (it is hard to get desent pictures when you are just sticking the camera under the car and hoping for a good shot!):

Corvette_interior_right.jpg

Corvette_interior_left.jpg

Corvette_underneath_left.jpg

Is this still for sale?

I've got way too many vehicles (toys, projects, etc.) so I am looking at selling some of them so I have enough room in the garages to work on the projects. One of the cars I am selling is my 1970 Laguna Grey Corvette Stingray convertible. The car is a good driver with a nice solid engine, it is not fully restored or numbers matching so it’s a car you can feel comfortable with driving down to the store or blasting through the country roads in - plus it is a whole lot cheaper. The car is equipped with a 4-speed transmission, power steering, power brakes and tinted windshield (sorry, no tilt and no AC).

The cars engine was originally equipped with a 350 Hp, 380 ft-lbs torque V8 but the engine was damaged by a previous owner and was replaced with a new block several years ago (I don't remember the exact date but I have all the receipts at home). When they did this work they installed a new cam shaft, 10.5:1 pistons (in place of the original 11:1 ones), Edelbrock aluminum intake and Edelbrock carburetor so the horsepower and torque should be about the same as the original. When I bought the car it had a GM HEI distributor but since that didn't have a tach drive I replaced it with an N.O.S. Corvette distributor and installed a Crane electronic ignition, high energy coil, silicone plug wires and Bosche platinum plugs. This setup enables the car to run on 91 octane premium without pinging. I bought the car about 5 years ago and was told that the engine had about 5,000 miles on it and I have maybe put 2,000 miles on it since I bought it. The engine runs very strong and uses no oil and does not smoke at all. The only other work I have done on the engine is to install a new alternator and replace the headers with new ones that are coated inside and out with Jet-Hot’s silver ceramic coating. The engine always starts right up, even after sitting for a long time. The car seems to run nice and cool. It had an electric fan when I bought it but that was undersized so I installed a used factory style mechanical fan and fan clutch and removed the fuse for the electric fan (the fan is still there as a back-up. The clutch works well and the transmission linkage is nice and tight. The car has a 3:08 rear end ratio which works well with the 70 mph speed limit. The car still breaks the tires loose easily under initial acceleration but it is only turning over about 2800 rpm at 70 mph.

The body is in good condition, the paint looks good from 10 feet away but the car is a survivor so there are assorted minor nicks and scratches and some spotting on the paint. At least part of the car has been repainted the original color. As you’ve probably noted the hood isn’t original for that year but is a factory Corvette hood with the factory insulation and cold air intake, I guess it is from about a ’73 Corvette. The story I got is that one of the previous owners replaced the hood after the original wiper door jammed and burnt out the wiper motor – this hood replaces the original hood and wiper door.

I'm going to have to finish this description later (I've got to do some work). Below is the only picture I have with me - I will post more this weekend. My price is $14,500 firm and the car is located in Odessa, Missouri, just east of Kansas City - fly in I'' pick you up and you can drive it home!

Corvettes.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom