Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1976 horn problem

Corvette
1976 White Stingray
Hi,
Got a 76 that the horn doesn't work when depressing the horn button. I've applied 12v to the horn and it works fine. So I believe my problem will be in the horn button area, horn relay or associated wiring. I've removed the upper contact assy and I'm only finding one of the metal rod, spring and plastic sleeve. Yet I see where 2 more holes are. My question is is their supposed to be 3 of these ? Really could use a good diagram of this area, as my Hayens manual is really lacking here. Thanks to anyone who can help me.....

Hi,
Got a 76 that the horn doesn't work when depressing the horn button. I've applied 12v to the horn and it works fine. So I believe my problem will be in the horn button area, horn relay or associated wiring. I've removed the upper contact assy and I'm only finding one of the metal rod, spring and plastic sleeve. Yet I see where 2 more holes are. My question is is their supposed to be 3 of these ? Really could use a good diagram of this area, as my Hayens manual is really lacking here. Thanks to anyone who can help me.....
Test the relay by bridging the rod/spring assembly with to the wheel with a screwdriver. It should honk. If not, it's probalby either the wiring or the relay. if it does, could be the horn button. Mine didn't work. turns out that the PO stuffed a piece of cardboard between the contacts to eliminate a rattle or something.

The other two holes are threaded - they're for bolts used with a steering wheel puller. :)
Thanks for the help, found reason horn wasn't working when pushig the horn button area, bubba had removed the horn relay. Bought a new relay, and as soon as I installed it the horn blew all the time.. so i had to remove the relay while I gather further information on how to find why I'm getting a ground down to the relay all the time...any ideas or methods of troubleshooting would certainly be appreciated

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom