Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1978 Rear Bumper Emblem

F

Fishman

Does any one know how to replace the "corvette" emblem on the rear bumper of a '78? I cannot either see up there, nor get my hands on anything that resembles the two screws holding the emblem on.

I wasn't there...

...but my paint shop said they 'lost' my rear emblem. After seeing the gouges in the bumper from where they attempted to remove it, I believe they destroyed it and decided it was better to say it was lost and floating around the shop somewhere.
They paid for a replacement from Corvette Central and I see that they adhered it with some type of glue. It squished out around some of the edges.
Heidi

So...there must be a way to remove interior pieces to access that back panel to remove the emblem properly.
Or you have to drop the gas tank.
Or you have to remove the entire bumper.
GADS! I hope someone besides me comes along with a better answer...I may drive this vette owner to the bottle!
(don't pay attention to me, I don't know anything!) ;)
h

My 78 has the 82 rear bumper. I have it off right now and was able to take a look at it. If it is the same as the 78, there are three small screws that go through the bumper at about 3 inches apart and the little tin nuts hold it in place.

Hopefully this will help!

Bill

Gave some bad info before (I have the new part in front of me now), there are 3 screws in the emblem. There is also a mounting braket (the same size as emblem) as well. My problem is, I cannot get my hand up to the back of the emblem. I cannot see up there either. Hope Heidi is wrong... I don't really feel the one that's on there now is that bad. As a matter of fact, if I need to remove my gas tank or bumper... It looks great!

Howdy Fishman,

First recommendation is to remove the spare tire carrier so you can see up there. I did this a month or so ago when replacing some u-joints and it hasn't made it back on yet - not sure if it ever will. Anyhow...

Laying under the rear of the car looking up you will see the actual metal bumper hidden behind the fiberglass, plastic, whatever you call it. On top and in the middle of the metal bumper is an aluminum support bracket about 8 to 10 inches long and triangular shaped. The three nuts holding the corvette emblem on are behind that. If you can get a wrench or small hand back there, great - go for it. If not, then you'll have to remove the aluminum triangle. The triangular aluminum support bracket is held on by 3 bolts, one of which you will see centered on the bracket going from the front of the car rearward into the bumper. The other two are inside the triangle pointing down into the bumper. The one screw you can see is a self tapping screw - no problem. The catch is that the other two inside the triangle are not screws, they are bolts with nuts that you can't get at unless you remove the plastic/fiberglass bumper cover. You might be able to get those two off without removing the bumper cover body panels, but you won't get them back on without it. On my car, these two bolts are no longer present. I'm guessing that when a previous owner repainted the car, he figured that the one self tapping screw in the middle was more than enough to hold that aluminum triangle on - and indeed, so far, so good. But I wonder, are the two nuts from the missing bolts still floating around between the metal bumper and the fiberglass cover? I'm hoping that I never need to take the thing apart far enough to find out.

Semper Fidelis,
Culprit

Thanks Culprit... I'll give it a try and let you know the results. I'll even share a picture of my bloody knuckles.

Spare Tire Rims

Culprit and Fishman,

Check to see if your spare tire rim is yellow, if so, store them where they can't be lost to greedy hands because they are somewhat valuable. Yellow rims only came on early '78s. FYI.

Bill

Matchframe, that's part of the reason it hasn't made it back on the car yet. :)

I need to decide if I want to just trust the 2 cans of fix a flat I carry around, or if I should pick up a cheap spare from a junkyard or e-bay.

Fishman, that's the spirit. Let us know how it turns out.

This isn't from working on my Vette, but here's a picture of me almost losing a finger. Fortunatly the tendon was only nicked and not severed.Culprit's finger

And if anyone's interested, when you click on the link above, you can then go to some additional albums of pictures from a deployment I did about a year and a half ago before this most recent excursion.

Semper Fidelis,
Culprit

Culprit,

Your finger looks horrible! What happened?

I don't do well when I see blood...the several times we had to rush one of our kids to the emergency room, my wife was the strong one! I drove, and kept my eyes on the road, just the road, nothing else!

I always said that I would have made a good doctor, except, I almost faint when I see blood. I figured that would pose a problem.

Bill

Howdy matchframe,

Wish I had some cool story for ya, but the truth is I did it with my own pocket knife - I slipped while cutting some stubborn plastic zip ties. I just got in a hurry and wasn't paying attention. It was a quick clean slice and didn't hurt at all surprisingly. But when I looked down, I realized this was too big of a job for your everyday band-aid. I didn't want my Marines to know what an idiot their Lt was, so I casually closed my pocket knife, put it away, told my Sergeant to take charge of the Marines and that I had to go take care of something else. Then I walked myself down to sick bay thinking that I had saved face, not realizing that I was leaving a very noticable trail of blood on the deck and down my pants leg. My guys finished up the job we were working on and showed up in sick bay in time to see the Corpsman finishing up the last few stitches. Another lesson in humility was learned that day (along with the lesson that you can't hide something from your Marines while standing in a puddle of your own blood!).

Thankfully, I got all feeling and motion back after it healed.

Semper Fidelis,
Culprit

What's the verdict Fishman? Any success or are you going to leave the current emblem alone?

Culprit

What's the verdict Fishman? Any success or are you going to leave the current emblem alone?

Hey Culprit, It's going to have to wait until the weekend... I'll keep you in the know.

Hey Culprit... everything was as you said. Since I am unsure about the exact function of that 'triangular aluminum support bracket'... and as you said, I wouldn't be able to get the last two screws and nuts back on (confirmed)... I have decided to wait until the car gets a fresh coat of paint before putting the new emblem on. I didn't want the two nuts flying around somewhere in the back of the car.

Fishman, yes, sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone I suppose.

On a separate topic - what can you tell me about your ZZ4 crate engine? Did you do it yourself or pay to have it done (or maybe a previous owner did it)? Did you keep your Q-jet?

I'm asking because my 1978 engine is bone stock/original and eventually I'm going to have to do something with/about it. From all that I've read and heard, the ZZ4 seems like the best choice for me. Respectable power (certainly an upgrade from the orig engine), direct fit replacement, and a warranty to boot. I'm not out to build my own beast, set records or overheat the dyno, I just want good reliable performance with a little something more than what I have now. And the price doesn't look too bad either.

And if a ZZ4 is the way I go when the time finally does come, I think I'll bolt a Keisler 5 or 6 speed overdrive to it to complete the package! Almost makes me wish my piston rings would burn up this week...but not quite. :)

Culprit

Culprit,

After the original engine gave way to time in 1999,a friend and I picked up a rebuilt 350 from the local engine rebuilder. We also put on a Holley 750 4b as well. I was having all sorts of issues getting the rebuilt engine to run right. Thought I had some carb issues so took it to the local Vette Guru in Dallas. He tore apart the rebuilt and found the engine had been way over-bored. I thought, that's it, I ain't buying anyone else's past so decided to go with the new crate and a 650 Holley 4b. Since I had a new baby at home, I paid him for the install. The engine is a flippin' dream, I think the car should have had this much hp in the 70's, but with the fuel crunch, GM probably had to keep things tuned down.

Did you keep your Q-jet?
I still have the original Q-jet and stock manifold in the attic... you need it? Free to a Marine (Culprit only) if you please, I would never use them again but they should go to a good home if needed. If you need to speak, send an e-mail.

Later... Brian

Check to see if your spare tire rim is yellow

Hey matchframe, forgot to mention... the spare tire rim is not yellow, though it is the original spare.

The yellow rims came on only the early 78's. I think they were installed on only the first 4 or 5 months of production.

BTW, the inspection station here OKed me to have sidepipes! I was a happy camper last Friday when I found out.

Bill

Fishman, I sent you an e-mail!

Matchframe, that's great news on the side pipes!

Semper Fidelis,
Culprit

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom