Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1980 ROUGH RIDER

Nobody Cares

Corvette
red 81, orange 74 vert. , 80 claret,69 chevy pu
Can not figure out why my 80 rides so rough. 255/60/15 B F Goodrich radial t/a's.Tire pressure is cold 25 front and 28 back. New Monroe Sensatrack shocks. Car has the 9 leaf rear spring and rides like the Log Truck i drive all day. The front seems to ride pretty well but the back is rough (stiff ). Any Ideas ??????? I also have a 74 vert and 81 coupe with the same shocks and both ride good compared to the 80. The 81 and 74 have 275 /70 /15. Think maybe the wider tire might have something too do with the ride ???? Dave ;shrug

:boogie:boogie:boogie

Stiff rear

Hi Dave, your problem is probably in or at the rear spring it self,you are lucky in that you have other vettes to compare with, so try this, place a floor jack at one end under the leaf spring right at the end, you may require a c clamp on the spring to prevent it from sliding along lift the car until your spring starts to level out or just as the tire leaves the ground ,the spring will move up the link bolt measure the travel then do the same to one of your other vettes, you wil then know if it is a stiff spring then.,or your link bolts may be to short , and remember the 1980 was i think the first year that weight was drastically reduced, thinner roof panels,hood,and outer doors, etc, hope this helps.

Ok Wayne, i"ll give it a shot this weekend. Thnx for the reply. Dave :w

VETTE80CLARET009.jpg

:bar

DSCF0254.jpg

Want to trade for a weekend???

Seriously, I think the harshness comes from the combination of the tires and the spring. Then again, I've owned two different C3s- one a '78 and the other my '80- and they've been night and day.

My '80 with its 9 leaf spring and 255/50/27s is a solid car. No rattles or squeaks. Errr- at least none audible over the side pipes!

The '78 I had sounded like a bag of nails being dropped every time I went over railroad tracks. It literally sounded that harsh. :L

I had 255/45/16s and a 360lbs/in fiberglass monospring on the '78. Wayyyyy too stiff. But man, could that thing stick to asphalt like chewing gum on an August day in Daytona.

:Steer

I weighed her once with a half tank of gas and me in the driver's seat. We came in at 3300 lbs- not bad, That means the car was around 3120lbs. Astro tops, light weight wheels, fiberglass tail, aluminum wheels, fiberglass rear spring, and an Eckler's hood helped put her on a diet that would make Twiggy jealous.

:D

Darkshark, Louisville is only about a 12 hour ride south from me. The trade for the weekend sounds good. That is a fine vette you have there. I like the color and the wheel combo. Bet i could make the side pipes talk . (teehee). Anyway thanks for the reply. Have to post another thread this morning. I was working on the Spare Tire Light yesterday on the 80. Put a new pigtail and bulb in (being that it didn't work ). NOW the kick panel lights and the domw light are not working. All otherlights and gauges are workink. No blow fuses in the fuse panel?????????? Not sure where else to look. ??? Dave :confused:confused:confused:confused:confused

;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom