Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 Dark Bronze - 1 of 6 w/ 4 Speed

raybee

Corvette
1981 Dark Bronze 4 Speed
Just looking for some thoughts on the above. While I was down at Carlisle last weekend I saw my car. LOL - a Dark Bronze 81 w/ a 4 speed. It was for sale w/ at a very high price . Anyway, I was talking with the couple who owned it and told them its the only time I saw I've seen that color aside from mine and they asked "Well, is yours a 4 speed?" And I told them yes! I also told them that I once saw one on ebay for sale so that's now 3 that I know of. They proceeded to tell me that they at one time contacted Bowling Green and were told that only 6 cars were made in this combination. Weather that's true or not it kinda made me feel good - having a "rare" car. I never really thought of it that way because it's an 81 not a '61, for example. What are some of the other thoughts out there as I may never want to sell this car now. BTW, there were only 432 painted in this color according to the black book.

Corvette Myth. GM did not keep color/options combination figures so there is no way to determine how many bronze cars had four speed transmissions. For 81, the buyer could choose the 4 speed or automatic as the base transmission at no charge for either. Corvette Bronze was available only at Bowling Green. It was not a popular color (432 cars). Contacting "someone" at Bowling Green for any type of confirmation would serve no purpose.

The most which can honestly be said about the car is that it has a rare color and someone chose the 4 speed.

IF only six were produced (big IF), theirs, yours, and the one on eBay account for half of them.

:thumb

Last edited:
It comes down to what the TRIM Tag shows... the exterior/interior color is listed on the tag.

I started the L81 Vette Registry about 14 years ago or so. We wanted to provide a data base and historical record for the 1981 Corvette. Thru the years different members and folks have done the administration of the site for me. My biggest desire was to provide an accurate data base for our year Corvette.

It is unfortunate that some folks find it insulting to question the authenticity or the data they provide us. WHEN it is a simple matter of just checking the TRIM TAG to validate their claim. Over the course of time we have existed as a Registry we have "Confirmed" the existence of ONE PRIMRY 1981 and worked with Mike A. of the infamous Corvette Black Book to document it.

Since I have taken over the approval of registrations I find many time colors to be wrong as per the VIN or folks that think I know nothing and because they have an orange 1981 it must be a one of a kind... well it probably is but without being a "SPEC" on the TRIM TAG, there is VERY LITTLE chance of it being factory or dealer painted color.. end of discussion!!!!

And don't get me started on the Code 24 1981's,,, prior registration approval indicate more than 1 Code 24 :eyerole yet NONE are truly documented!!!! and owners ignore request to provide photo of the TRIM TAG :mad

So my point is unless someone can document beyond any shadow of a doubt... enjoy the orange one of kind or one of a kind purple 1981 and with this ole boy approving registration for our Registry.... it ain't going to happen..

by the way MY 1981 is a DOCUMENTED 1 or 315 and truth be know probably a lot lower production number if I could document all the options.. UL5 Delete, manual door locks, manual seats, rear window defog, oh and a 4-speed 84L with silver leather interior... and yes I have the build sheet, original window sticker with all delivered documents upon dealer prep thru first, second owners and every part replaced and receipts for all maintenance and parts.. as well as everything I have done... I have all the hard copies and an Excel Spreedsheet with 14 pages or records...

Bottom line document it provide proof and most of all ENJOY THE :Steer

Bud

Maybe it is one of 6, maybe it's not. Without going through the build sheets for 432 in that color it could never be confirmed. (like that'll happen:chuckle)
But if you look on the registry there is 4 listed there with that combination; and the registry is only showing 1637 of the 40606 produced.
The more I think on it the less likely to 1/6 it seems.

And don't get me started on the Code 24 1981's,,, prior registration approval indicate more than 1 Code 24 :eyerole yet NONE are truly documented!!!! and owners ignore request to provide photo of the TRIM TAG :mad

Bud, have you tried threatening to remove them from the registry (or alter the color to non-stock) if they don't provide any proof? You would have to be prepared to follow through of course. This would make the registry more accurate.

Bud, have you tried threatening to remove them from the registry (or alter the color to non-stock) if they don't provide any proof? You would have to be prepared to follow through of course. This would make the registry more accurate.

There in lie the problem... I do not possess the talent nor the ability to make changes to the data base, OR I would, esp after contacted those with somewhat less than document-able evidence of their claim. I just pay the bills. I started approving registrations about 2 years ago, up until then the Registry was designed and managed by former L81 owners or once even a professional web site design company.

One day our Registry will become active again and my hopes are to get it a bit more accurate!! AND more useful!!

Thanks for the input and concern..

Bud

Just looking for some thoughts on the above. While I was down at Carlisle last weekend I saw my car. LOL - a Dark Bronze 81 w/ a 4 speed. It was for sale w/ at a very high price . Anyway, I was talking with the couple who owned it and told them its the only time I saw I've seen that color aside from mine and they asked "Well, is yours a 4 speed?" And I told them yes! I also told them that I once saw one on ebay for sale so that's now 3 that I know of. They proceeded to tell me that they at one time contacted Bowling Green and were told that only 6 cars were made in this combination. Weather that's true or not it kinda made me feel good - having a "rare" car. I never really thought of it that way because it's an 81 not a '61, for example. What are some of the other thoughts out there as I may never want to sell this car now. BTW, there were only 432 painted in this color according to the black book.
I'm not sure if I had made my
point. I think we can all agree this is a rare combo weather its 1 of 6, 1 of 60 or 1 of 432. What I was looking for was some comments on what such a combo might be considered in term of collectability at some point in the future since it not as desired as let's say a mid-year or an LT-1 C3 (and never will be).

Last edited:
...What I was looking for was some comments on what such a combo might be considered in term of collectability at some point in the future...

"Rare" does not necessarily equate to desirability or collectabilty. A potential future buyer for your car might want it only for the 4 speed and not for the color. The next potential buyer might want it for the color and not want a 4 speed. Average Jane/Joe might want it for no reason other than it's a Corvette and he/she "always wanted one".

:thumb

What are some of the other thoughts out there as I may never want to sell this car now. BTW, there were only 432 painted in this color according to the black book.

As others have said, any claim of a Corvette being 1 of X based upon a combination of options is purely a guess and not a documented number. GM kept no records of such things. The process used to derive such number is horribly flawed for several fundamental reasons.

I suppose it's ironic that the number these people dream up is probably less exclusive that it could be. If the long list of options available in a given year is considered vs. the relatively small number of cars built, it's conceivable that every C3 is actually 1 of 1. Statistically my car is way less than 1 of 1 so I go to the garage once in a while to see if really exists or not.:chuckle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom