Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1981 St. Louis 2-tone

Tom Bryant

Administrator
Corvette
1959 black 270hp (9/2/69) 1981 Beige L81(10/20/80)
In this video labeled as taken during 1981 production in St. Louis there is clearly a 2-tone shown on the line at 17 seconds into the video. We've always believed that the 2-tone combos were a Bowling green thing and only done in the new base/clear enamel finishes; all St Louis cars being lacquer. Any thoughts?

Tom

St. Louis Video

I know stl did a few 2-tones,the 78 pace cars and the silver anny's editions come to mind.
as weel as some one off's.I'm not sure about the 81's....perhaps they were a few 'experiments'....

1981 Two-tones

There were approximately 80 pilot vehicles painted with two-tone paints for 1981 that were a test for a new process. These paints had codes that started with an "E" to identify them.To my knowledge, none have ever shown up in public and were most likely all destroyed.

Here is a picture of one of those pilot 81's that was a two-tone. Notice the tags taped to the windshield and front of car.
26.jpg

I sure would like to be able to read those tags.

Tom

the one behind it has a tag on the nose as does the 2-tone
but the 2 tone has one on the window as well....

That's a piece of cardboard taped to the windshield of the two tone. I can just barely make out handwriting on it, but can't read what it says.

Paper taped on each nose is a copy of the build schedule.
:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom