Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1982 Brake Caliper

82RL

Corvette
2000 LT. Pewter Coupe
I am going to replace the right front brake caliper on my 82. This is my first time to do this. Is there any little secrets I should know.

If it broke due to age or for no aparent reason I would give serious thought to replacing both front calipers. Although the right front does take the biggest load of the four during braking.

The other caliper was replaced about 2 months ago by a mechanic who was doing some other stuff for me. This is the first time I have changed one. It does not look complicated , just wanted to make sure there wasn't any little surprises. Thanks for the reply.

It is not difficult just take your time. After the wheel is off it should only take about an hour. The biggest headache is keeping things clean and bleeding the brakes.:beer

82RL,

Make sure you have a tubing wrench(and some penetrating oil) when you go to remove the steel brake line from the hose. This is the first step after removing the wheel. These want to round over real easy even with a tubing wrench and are often difficult to get started. Have a plastic baggie and a rubber band handy to seal off the end of the brake line after you remove it. This helps keep some of the fluid in the line(cuts down on bleeding) and keeps any contamination out. Next remove the horse shoe clip that keeps the hose in place, THEN remove the bolts that hold the caliper. Check your hose closely for cracks, replace it if any are seen.

So he would have to drain all of the brake-fluid first? And then he would put on the caliper? By what means would he put the brake fluid back into the system?

TR

Changed the caliper last night every thing went well. It took forever to bleed the line and get all the air out. Is this normal or is ther a trick to it. I am going to put on a new hose and brake pads on the other side Saturday.

82RL,

There really is not any trick to it. The 4 piston corvette caliper is hard to bleed period. It sounds like you were vigilent and got all the air out.........thats all it takes.

Stallion: He would need to put break fluid into the master cylinder , and then bleed the breaks to get all of the air out. I would explain brake bleeding, but I would probably get it backwards so it would be easier if you went here .

-Chris

Replaced the driver side caliper,brake line and pads Saturday. Front now has 2 new calipers, brake lines and pads. Sure made a difference in the way it stops.

Replaced the driver side caliper,brake line and pads Saturday. Front now has 2 new calipers, brake lines and pads. Sure made a difference in the way it stops.
It made a big difference in mine too. I took one apart before I returned the core to NAPA and found 2 of the pistons to be stuck.

Just one question here since Im going to need to do this Saturday. Is it necessary to bleed the brakes? I read somwhere that you should do it half way. If you bleed them half way or all the way to you need to get the air out? I had a chevy blazer and all you had to do was poor brake fluid into the little jug under the hood. It was from the old school too.

Yes, you will need to bleed the brakes, as air will be introduced as soon as you open the system to change the caliper.
:beer

How do I get the air all out as well as the brake fluid. DO i need to completely bleed the system of bfluid and air whne done relpacing caliper adn refilling the brksystem w/ bfluid? I need details cuz im kinda perfectionist

You need only to bleed the caliper that you remove the brake line from. It takes 2 people, one to pump and then hold the brake pedal and one to crack open the bleeder. Close the bleeder after a quick opening and pump the brakes again, repeat until all the air is expelled and nothing but straight fluid comes from the bleeder. Watch the level in the master cylinder and add fluid before it runs out or you will introduce more air to the system and you will be bleeding forever.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom