Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1982 EGR Solenoid, a rare item.......

Gohot

Corvette
1982 C3
I'm sure I'm not the first as I'v looked all over the web trying to locate an EGR solenoid for my 82 C3. I can find nothing.... yikes...:ugh. Going to the Crossfire Forum also was ineffective as no search provided any information. It has been spoken of that a similar year 'purge' solenoid was the same component, but I really don't know as neither one returned much in the way of pictures or sources. I'm sure I'm one on a larger group needing this component and have unable to locate one or a useful substitute. I want to keep my Crossfire intact, but this is becoming a task... The other option it seems is to scrap the whole system and go carb and manifold, but uggghhhhhh. I'm beginning to really be dissapointed in this car. Everything else works fine, but the solenoid, if I hook it up, it kills the motor. If I unhook it and plug the manifold bung it runs ok. but then the idle is higher than I want, around 900 to a 1000 and back and forth. I know there are several things to account for high idle, but I really don't even know where to start. I will NEVER buy ANYTHINg again that's idle is not correct. I had an SL 450 Mercedes with the same hair pulling problems, and I'm so sick of it, I don't care what it's on, it makes one want to adjust with dynamite....:BDH

The egr valve should never open at idle, so hook a vacuum gauge up to the egr hose & hook up the solenoid, when you start it there should be no vacuum on the gauge w/ either the electrical connector plugged in or not.
You need to start by checking for vacuum leaks, they cause high idle issues, look at the throttle shafts, they get worn & suck air in.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom