Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1984 Antenna Grommet removal

muskiemike

Corvette
1984 Gunmetal Met
1984 Antenna Grummet removal

Hello,

I've read all of the posts, and have instructions, and have "almost" removed the power antenna from my 84' to replace the broken mast.

Tire's off, wheel well is off, retaining nuts off, disconnected the antenna 3 plug harness at the rear - inside of the cargo area, disconnected the 3 wire antenna tie down, m car is jacked up . . ..

However, I "can not" seem to be able to pull the cluster of the 3 antenna wires through the grommet (rubber) of the body.

When I reach up under the rear fender, I can feel the rubber grommet with the coax and the 3 antenna wires going through it, it seems to have about a 1/4 " lip around it.

But I am not sure if that Rubber Grommet is to be taken off from under the wheel well or what - I can't imagine the wires and connector will pass through that rubber grommet.

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated . . .

Almost there!

If I remember correctly when I did mine last winter, I pulled the grommet right out of the body hole along with the wires and replaced it later.

reply to safety match

THX Safety Match, perhaps that's the answer, not sure, one thing I have learned, not all corvettes are the same.

I've got an 84' and I am not sure the procedure is the same as for a 90'

Yes, the grommet and the wires are all attached together, that's why you have to remove the grommet in order to remove the antenna. When I pulled my antenna, my arm hurt for three days because of the grommet. It's almost impossible to get it back in again, some people spread a little vasoline around the grommet so it will slide in more easily when you reinstall. Also, when you're reinstalling, you might want to tie a string around the end of the wires and pull it through the hole instead of feeding the wires through the hole from below.

reply to tyrel

Tyrel,

THX for your reply- is this the same for a 84?

Also, the coax cable which goes from the radio through the rubber grommet and then attaches to the power antenna, if I pull the wires and rubber grommet through the hole of the body, won't that pull too much on the coax cable, as it is still attached to the radio?

When I reached up under the rear QTR panel, I could feel the rubber grommet with approx 1/4" lip around it, how do I get that rubber grommet out of there, do I try to pry the rubber grommet out by hand or simply yank, yank and yank on the wires/coax cable?

Yes, the way that it was described is the same on your car. Pull the grommet out from the rear, the cables both the coax and the power wires are all sealed as part of the grommet. Work the edges of the grommet up all the way around, then just start pulling on the grommet.

Did you find the coax connector under the edge of the rear trim on the left side? That has to be dis-connected in order to allow all the cables to be pulled out through the hole.

I just did mine about three months ago. By the way, 84-87 all used the same antenna as long as they didn't have the CB option, but as far as I know the grommet arrangement is the same on all of the C4s.

reply to cd5

If I am not mistaken, on a ZRI, if the ribbon cable is not broken , then perhaps you can simply pull out the old mask and then insert the new mask, turn on the radio, and let the radio engage the power antenna to lock the ribbon cable in place.

However, if I am not mistaken, on a 1984, it does not use a ribbon cable, it use a round piece of plastic cable, which when it breaks, the only choice you have is to completely remove the power antenna, drill out the 4 rivets, remove the broken (Hook) plastic round cable, and insert the new round plastic cable, button it up, test and reinstall.

Now, if I am wrong, I guess I will feel look a fool (This has happened before).

reply to Berky2500

THX - for the explaination . . .

Are you saying the rubber grommet is physcially part of the 2 antenna wires and the coax cable?

So you suggest pulling on the rubber grommet and not pull on the wires/coax cable?

I have not disconnected the coax cable along inside of the drivers rear qrt panel - I took off the panel trim, removed the Delco Speaker frame but did not see the coax cable.

Can you provide more detail on this?

Also, assuming I am able to pull out the grommet with the coax and wires, what do I need to do to get it back in place?

Lot's of ?'s just don't want to break anything in process (gaining wisdom)

Look forward to your reply!

As far as the ribbon, you are right on both accounts, the newer antennas, ZR1 or not use a toothed plastic ribbon on the mast. If you can get all of the broken pieces out, you can indeed replace the mast without taking anything apart. I've done this on a 1990.

The older ones do have the round ribbon with a metal hook on the end that requires drilling out the rivets on the housing to replace it.

I don't know how many parts you have off of your car, but I had to take off the rear trim pieces, the trim underneath the hatch lip on the drivers side, and the luggage shade. Trace the coax inside the car from the back corner near the grommet up to the back of the drivers seat (all under the edge of the carpet). There should be an inline connector in the coax. If not, then I guess you will have to pull the whole coax, but I would be surprised if you don't have the connector. It is very stubbon to get apart, I ended up tearing the connector off of the antenna end of the cable. Not a big deal since I replaced everything. There was a rubber boot that covered the connector that was stuck to it (I learned after it was broke). If I would have peeled the boot back, I could have got it apart easier.

Underneath the car for access, I had the rear fender loose from the wheel well skirt. I also removed the drivers side muffler and both tail lights so that I could get to the grommet straight in instead of under neath the car. Having the muffler out of the way made it much easier to get the antenna in place when putting the new/repaired one back in.

I can understand all the questions, this was a bigger job than I expected. I can send you some pictures I took that may help. Let me know your email address, the pictures are 600-700 K a piece, let me know if you have a size limit on your email and I need to resize.

To Berkey2500

Please e-mail pictures to mike.malone@myport.org

I believe I have 2 items remaining to remove the antenna:

1. need to locate and disconnect the coax cable in the cargo compartment.

2. Need to figure out how to loosen the rubber grommet and pull the rubber grommet, the 3 antenna wires and the coax cable from the body of the car in the drivers rear qtr panel?

Any suggestions?

I am told that the Rubber Grommet, the 3 antenna wires and coax cable are all connected as one piece - is this true, and can I simply pull that rubber grommet, 3 wires / coax cable out as one piece - I was a bit concerned, as I did pull hard, and I have a tendancy of breaking stuff . ..

All your comments and suggestions are "greately" appreciated!

Your inbox is full, the third email bounced. Just reply to my email address and let me know when you have more room and I'll resend the third set of pictures.

reply ro c5d

I believe it was 1988, as for the 1984 - 1987, they used the round pastic cable.

You should feel very happy you have a later vett, and especially a ZR1

I can't believe that GM would allow a power antenna to be installed the way it was from the factory - apparently they never thought one would have to replace it.

Hey Everybody!

Making great progress, the power antenna in now out of the qrt panel on the work bench, the 4 rivets are out, the clips are off, and as predicted the round plastic cable broke off in the rewind wheel, it broke off around 5" - which means it broke off right where the round plastic cable enters the mast - apparently it must rub, and rub and rub.

Well, I am waiting for the replacement mast, then to reverse the procedure.

SPECIAL "THANKS" TO "SHAWN BERKSTRESSER" - this guy is amazing, knows exactly each step.

I gotta tell ya, there are more steps than in the &@(@(()@) Corvette Manual and Shawn knows em all!

I could not have done without the help of SHAWN!

C4 Antenna mast replacement

With the help of several members of this forum, I have repaired my orginal Power Antenna with a new mast, and reinstalled it - it works like a champ - took a lot longer than I had expected!

For those who want " very, very, detailed" instructions, send me an e-mail and I would be happy to send you the Word file, it includes step by step, with pictures, and other images - many of which came from this forum in piecemeal . .

Duke
malonemike@hotmail.com

Mike,
I'm happy to hear you made it and everything is working OK. I'm glad I have the later style antenna and didn't have to go through everything you did.

John

yea they did. you would fall over if you took it to dealer and wanted it fixed!!! Last i seen anyone ask all they want to do is replaced the entire antenna.

When you find where the coax breaks do like they said tie a string or or something on the wires and pop the gromet out from the inside (I think that is right) when you get the new weedeater line in and the antenna back together pull the wires and stuff up in the car, put some grease or KY or what ever to lube up the gromet and take a long screwdriver handle and poke it back it back up in the hole. I know that 15 year old rubber is nearly hard as a rock! mine was. You might as well take the entire inner fender out and the tire off. Like everyone said it still a pain.

JS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom