Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 1984 purchase

tfavitta

Corvette
current a1984 White CoupePreviously a 1992
Hello,
I am looking on Monday at a 1984 coupe with 48000 miles for the asking price of $5000.
I have to travel 300 miles to see it at a chevy dealer in NJ. The pictures look good and the car is clean. It was a one owner and traded in on May 22. The dealer said it passed a 150 point inspection. It was given a tune up, oil and filter change and new wipers. Clean carfax report.

Can anyone answer a few questions, it would be appreciated.

What things should I look out for?
Were there any problems with this model?
What questions should I ask about recalls if any?
I've read about crossfire problems, how can I tell if they were addressed?
Should I check the VIN and Engine VIN?
Any thing else I should ask?

Thanks for your help...

father and son

If this is your first Corvette do all you said, and read this forum about all the other questions you may need to ask.
The 84 was a completely new style Vette, except for the engine. So remember for it's time it was GREAT!!
For this C4 style Vette there are rattles, because they used screws in the interior. Also a very hard ride. But i love mine, and parts are not hard to find. the horse power is 205, and the top speed is about 135. The largest priced option on mine was the Bose stereo $650.00.
Today you can get better sound out of your Amazon Alexa. $5000 is a very fair price. But look closely at the drivers side seat for excessive ware, and the steering wheel leather ware. If they both look very worn out, maybe the milage may not be correct? Because that odometer
can be easily changed.
Good Luck

2014-07-28143758_zps334c0e01.jpgView attachment 25643

Attachments

• 20140728_143759.jpg
    20140728_143759.jpg
    971.3 KB · Views: 163
Thanks

Thank you for your input.
I bought the car and it is in very good shape. The seats show wear as I would expect but the steering wheel is like new. I had to replace a dash light and the radio. I purchased the radio new from retro sound for $259.00 and instead of a cassette it has a USB and MP3 hook up and I paired my phoneto it so I an happy. The Bose system sounds great. So far so good....

I too, have an '84, and we need to remember that these cars are 34 years old! They are a very nice car, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment from yours. I've had mine for 14 years, but it only has 240,000 miles on it.

Did the dealer replace all fluids, including the trans and the differential? One issue that can create a big headache is the hood release cable. If it fails, the hood will be very difficult to open! I'd call it cheap insurance to replace this cable before it unexpectantly breaks. I'd also recommend removing the hood latches and lubricating the moving parts on the bottom of these latches. Fortunately, they will go back into their original positions without any need for alignment.
DSCN3240.JPG

These are complex cars, and one thing you'll definitely learn to appreciate, is the two book set of the Factory Service/Shop Manual (FSM). Don't bother with the Chilton or Hayne's books. They don't have the details or the accuracy you'll need, and can be misleading.

We like pictures!

:cool!:

Welcome to the C4 Family :upthumbs What dealer did ya get it from ? How was the ride home ? Is it a automatic or 4+3 ? Did ya drive it with the top off yet ?

Last edited:
good deal

IMG_0076.JPG
i bought mine 84 in mi 5500 mine got 70 k from private owner I think you getting great deal just have checked over

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom