Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1986 (Late) Hard Starting When Hot!

P

Piratetc

I have a 1986 Sports Cope (L98 - 5.7 L with TPI) that is getting very hard to start when it is hot. It always has been some what hard to start but, it is getting to the point that I am afraid of accidently burning up the starter or something worst. The last time I drove it the battery almost died before it started. I followed the "Cold or Warm Engine Starting Procedure", then the "If the Engine Fails to Start After Normal Starting Procedure" in the owner's manual and even then it was almost impossible to start. It starts fine when cold and runs great...just hard to start when hot. Help!!!!!! What should I be looking for, I am limited as to having diagnostic tools. I have a Haynes and Chilton repair manual (for C4 vettes 1984 thru 1996)...but they do not go into detail on troubleshooting hard starting when hot.

It could be a clogged catalytic converter, as among any other things. When is the last time you had a tune up? Plugs, wires etc etc something could be failing when its getting hot...

I have a 1986 Sports Cope (L98 - 5.7 L with TPI) that is getting very hard to start when it is hot. It always has been some what hard to start but, it is getting to the point that I am afraid of accidently burning up the starter or something worst. The last time I drove it the battery almost died before it started. I followed the "Cold or Warm Engine Starting Procedure", then the "If the Engine Fails to Start After Normal Starting Procedure" in the owner's manual and even then it was almost impossible to start. It starts fine when cold and runs great...just hard to start when hot. Help!!!!!! What should I be looking for, I am limited as to having diagnostic tools. I have a Haynes and Chilton repair manual (for C4 vettes 1984 thru 1996)...but they do not go into detail on troubleshooting hard starting when hot.

The fact that it starts fine when cold is an indication that the engine may be flooding when you shut the car down and it leaks fuel into the cylinders. Cold engine, fuel has had enough time to evaporate and it fires right up. My experience with this either bad fuel injector or bad Fuel Pres Regulator. I would check the regulator first. Good Luck!

hot start problem

I have 87 that had same problem. The injectors either wear or become dirty and leak down when the engine is shut off causing a flooding condition. I replaced the injectors and the problem was fixed immediately.

You got it...my problem was two fold. One - I had six injectors leaking causing the engine to flood when hot, two - the fuel pump was intermintent at times adding to the problem when the engine was hot. Appreciate the information...Thanks!

If you have the OEM Bosch injectors they are junk. The were notorious for leaking and the fix is the OEM Multeck from GM.
Been there done that.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom