Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1989 Corvette Overheating At Idle Solution

Nice to see a happy ending!

What did you do to restore the valve covers? They look awesome!

While driving your refreshed Vette, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

restored valve covers

All I did was wirebrush them to bare metal (using a drill mounted wire brush). Then, I used the corvette valve cover paint from Ecklers or Mid America (I forget where I bought it) and sprayed like 8 or 10 coats on them (just kept respraying every 15-25 mins until the can was empty).

Now, the metal was in tough shape (lots of pitting in the molds), but I just painted over the imperfections. I also put on a new emblem from wherever I bought the valve cover paint from.

Thanks for the compliment!

You very welcome!

They look super!

You used the trick: many, many thin coats of paint.

I love the forums. You can discover ways of doing things and also see the results.

Congrats again on a great job!

One more item: where did you purchase the "Blue" upper radiator hose?

I'm somewhat confused as is normal for me....but with electric fans which should both be on when the temp gets up....how does running the engine rpm's up help it cool down......? What happens when you turn the AC on....you should have the fans working (at least one fan right away)(at least that was how my 90 worked) and that should keep the engine running in that 190 to 210 range.

You can get your ECM programed for the fans to kick in earlier.........When I first got my 90 I would watch the temp climb waiting in line at Burger King and get worried about it......soon the fans would kick on and it would come down and after awhile I didn't worry about it.

Sorry I only read to the bottom of page 1......I see now what was going on. Glad you got it fixed. VC's look good!

Blue coling hoses

Hello,

I got the blue hose kit from Summit Racing. I just took a quick look and didn't see it anymore. Heres a link to some on ebay:
New Goodyear HiMiler Hose kit 1985-89 Corvette 5.7L | eBay

I bought it thinking they may be a little better than the normal hoses you would find at Autozone. I have no idea if they actually are.

I used the same style hoses on my '66 Mustang too. I guess over the years, I've had enough hoses get brittle and start leaking that I like to spend some dough on them.

Nice Work

I will add my experience with an old MB that 'burned' coolant in a cylinder. I'd have been glad if pitting or corrosion was the only issue.

The coolant steam-cleaned the oil from the rings/cyl walls causing accelerated wear and a ridge, requiring a rebore.

My Shinoda is going on replacement cooling fan #3. Damn those cheap imported parts! I just ordered #3 from my local Chev dealer who claims they are supposed to last 100k, despite foreign origin. The original fan surely did, but these (#1 & 2) local-parts-store replacements lasted about an hour each before smoking electrically. the last Delco relay I got from GM was Chinese, so I figured.. what the hey?

Nice, huh?! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom