Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1990 Clutch Upgrade Question

qblue90

Corvette
1990 Quasar Blue 6 spd,Z51,FX3,J55,GT7
Hi Guys,

I am reaching out for suggestions. Over the winter, I put a 383 from TPIS into our 90 6-speed. Clay from TPIS told me that any LT4 or LT5 Clutch should work fine with this engine. So, I bought a clutch from Ecklers for a ZR1. I think what they sold me was a clutch for a 1990 ZR1 ( my fault ) and long story short. The engine makes 458 lb/ft of torque at 4500rpm and the ZR1 clutch can not hold up if I am driving aggressively. And I always seem to be driving aggressively...lol..

So, I need another new clutch. I want it to hold all of the power the engine produces. I want it to be easy to drive so the wife does not complain. I want it to be quiet.

I only have 61K miles on the car, so will I still be able to use the stock dual mass flywheel.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Clay still tells me that any LT4 or LT5 clutch should live fine behind the 383, but I just want to make sure I get the right one. I do not want to do this again anytime soon.

Can anyone help please?

What do you mean by "can not hold up"

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Hi Doug,

By "not hold up" I mean it slips. When I put my foot on the floor and do a 1-2 shift without lifting off the throttle, it slips some. A 2-3 shift the same way produces more slippage. Just yesterday I tried to spin the tires for a relative and the tires spun, but not much. The clutch spun more. I aborted the attempt to spin the tires...

The hydraulic clutch has a restrictor in it to soften clutch application in the interest of driveline durability.

You're powershifting so that slippage you feel may be because of the slowing of clutch release not the clutch itself.

Keep in mind that the ZF S6-40 is not a transmission that will live a long time when powershifted regularly.

You may need to change the hyd. clutch system to eliminate that restrictor.

As for clutches, if you feel the OE type clutch out of a ZR1 isn't going to do the trick, I'd go aftermarket. Get ride of the dual mass and the stock clutch and install a McLeod aluminum wheel and a McLeod clutch. When I had my 95 ZR-1 that's what I ran.

Thanks for the reply Hib!

Would the restrictor in the hydraulics cause me to smell clutch material? I only ask because every time that I think the clutch might be spinning I can smell what I think is burnt clutch. Especially yesterday when I tried to do a burn out for my uncle. What hydraulic clutch system should I go with if this is the case? How do I know for sure that the hyd sys is the root cause? Do you think the 90 ZR1 clutch should be fine with 458 ft/lbs? I want to do the right thing to enjoy the money I put into the engine, but don't want to create other issues.

What will the McLeod aluminum flywheel do to noise and drivability/engagement? I don't want to make the car hard for my wife to drive.

Please advise

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom