Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 1990 ZR1 intermitant starter problems

korvettekarl

Corvette
2017 Grand Sport 90 ZR1 57 Bel Air
I have 1990 ZR1 with 58 K miles. Suddenly started to have a problem starting. Push starts every time. Relay? Starter? I don't want to pull the intake if I don't have to. Does anyone have any ideas where I should start? Any known issues. The car has ben great up to now. Any help is always appreciated.

I have 1990 ZR1 with 58 K miles. Suddenly started to have a problem starting. Push starts every time. Relay? Starter? I don't want to pull the intake if I don't have to. Does anyone have any ideas where I should start? Any known issues. The car has ben great up to now. Any help is always appreciated.

As with any electrical problem, have the battery properly load tested with a carbon pile load tester, battery cables clean and tight (no twisting), and ground cable to engine. Once these are proven good, further diagnosis can proceed if needed. Always start with the basics so you can trust any further diagnosis.

Do you have the Factory Service Manual for a 90?
If so, there is trouble shooting information in there you can use to determine if the problem is the starter relay, the starter or wiring.

Also, on a 90, you might as well pull the plenum because there's a good chance the valley drain is plugged and the valley may be full of debris. And, you can tighten the bolts on the air oil separator that's in there, too.

At one time I owned a '95 and I had all those problems at different times.

Help

As with any electrical problem, have the battery properly load tested with a carbon pile load tester, battery cables clean and tight (no twisting), and ground cable to engine. Once these are proven good, further diagnosis can proceed if needed. Always start with the basics so you can trust any further diagnosis.
Thanks. The battery has been test as ell as all connections. I was just wondering if there were any known issues with the clutch neutral safety switch etc. I really don't want to pull the plenum if at all possible.I will start testing each leg of the starting system. Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Thanks Hib. Once again I had feeling you would answer. I actually gave this one to my step son. Good kid who deserves something good in his life. A hard worker and never asks for anything. If I pull the plenum I will make sure I follow your advice.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom