Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1992 - Died after coolant flush, now won’t restart

jrclark32

Corvette
1992 Coupe; 6-speed; Blue
I got my 1992 out yesterday and when I checked fluids, I noticed that the antifreeze looked pretty dirty. She hasn’t been getting hot, but I thought it was time for a system flush.

I pulled hoses, knock sensors, the thermostat, etc and did a thorough flush of the whole system. Then I put it back together, filled it up, bled the system, and was letting her run to get up to temperature when it just died.... like turning the key off.

I tried to restart, and it just cranks and cranks without even attempting to fire.

I pulled the codes and it’s showing 4. H16 on the speedo display.

I’d appreciate any advice you can offer.

I checked and there’s no spark. What could I have done that would cause ignition failure with no warning?

If it's an opti spark system, coolant could have gotten onto the distributer behind the water pump.

Just a guess, I'm not real up to date on C4.

Yes, I just did mine as well. You have to be real careful with any water near the engine. Keep the opti dry. I have a 93 and the bleed valves are in direct line with the Opti, you have to be careful and need to divert any antifreeze. It's a common problem.

Is there a procedure to troubleshoot that? The ICM and coil are both right there by that bleeder too. Is it possible one of those got screwed up?

First year for Opti-Spark was a bad one. During coolant changes or engine washes, if they get wet, that usually kills them.

You could try getting the distributor out, apart and cleaning and drying the inside but you're probably looking at replacement. The aftermarket MSD distributor is a good choice.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom