Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1993 LT1 Roller Rockers upgrade?

DanC

Corvette
1993 Ruby Red Coupe
Hello all,

I'd like to install roller rockers on my 1993 LT1, not so much to improve performance (that would be nice, however) but to reduce friction and ease the side loading on the valve guides.

I did a search of the knowledge base but didn't find anything so I hope I'm not asking a question that's been covered before.

Any problems with doing this? Do some manufacturer's rocker's have fit problems? Do I have to do anything to the valve covers to avoid interference?

Anything else I need to know??

Thanks in advance.

DanC

GM Hot cam kit

There are several places such as Summit or Jeg's that have the GM hot cam kit. It comes with the GM hot cam new roller rockers (1.6 Ratio), springs, retainers, pretty much everything you need. If I'm not mistaken I think the LT1's in the Vettes already have roller rockers. One thing to take note of the Center bolt valve covers need clearance for the bolts, so you have to go with a "narrow body" rocker. Also if you are going from 1.5 ratio to 1.6 ratio there may be a clearance issue with the stock valve covers ... You may have to go with a "tall" valve cover.

:w

Dan,

I added 1.6 rr's to my 1993 so I know from 1st hand experience. You will need to cut off the drip tabs on the valve covers to fit the rr's, but that can be done with a dremel tool from what I've heard (I had mine pro installed).

That said, you might consider new valve springs but I did not change mine and the car was fine.

I have my 1.6 rr's out of the car now (had to put in others when I changed the cam and valve springs, pushrods, guideplates) if you want them.

Does anyone have any experience with shaft-mount roller rockers? I want to put TPIS's ZZ-9 or ZZ-409 and the book says to use their spring p# 700-132 which will go up to .540 lift but I am concerned that I may have coil bind if I go with regular 1.6 RRs and this would also require me to use guideplates and buy hardened pushrods.

-Shane

sothpaw said:
Dan,

I added 1.6 rr's to my 1993 so I know from 1st hand experience. You will need to cut off the drip tabs on the valve covers to fit the rr's, but that can be done with a dremel tool from what I've heard (I had mine pro installed).

That said, you might consider new valve springs but I did not change mine and the car was fine.

I have my 1.6 rr's out of the car now (had to put in others when I changed the cam and valve springs, pushrods, guideplates) if you want them.
you can cut the drip tabs off with a good pair of snippers even...

If you go 1.5's, the springs will be fine
some people have problems going to 1.6's with the exhaust springs

I ran a split set on my '93 (1.6 on the intake, 1.5 on the exhaust) and loved that combo... although, if I had the opportunity to do a full set of 1.6's for a good deal, I would probably just buy new valve springs and do that.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom