Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1993 Test Drive

peterd

Corvette
2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
Just started looking and drove a '93 w/ 47K miles at a Vet dealer. Kinda surprised it drove like a tank (idled rough) & didn't brake as good as i have heard. With only 47K i was expecting better.

An thoughts ?????

Most likely, the vehicle wasn't taken care of very well.

peterd,

It could be as simple as the car needing some tender loving care, or it could be a car that has been abused. If you're feeling serious about it, have a mechanic you trust go over it.

Good luck. :w

Edmond said:
Most likely, the vehicle wasn't taken care of very well.

Thought that too but rest of the car- exterior, interior, clean engine was beautiful.

any issues w/ warm ups - might have not been started for some time.

peterd said:
Thought that too but rest of the car- exterior, interior, clean engine was beautiful.

any issues w/ warm ups - might have not been started for some time.

The dealer most likely had the car detailed -either in-house or sent it out to be done. In either case, the appearance of the visible aspects, including engine bay, would not necessarily be a good indicator of how well the car had been taken care of by the previous owner(s).
I'd be wary; that's too low of mileage to be showing driveability problems. You say you were expecting better? Trust your instincts.
If you have already fallen in love with it, maybe you could use those shortcomings to bargain down the price which would cover some needed maintenance and/or repairs.

Keep looking, drive a few. I agree with tnovot and others. Don't walk, RUN away from this one.

A test drive is always the best thing to do. Dealers will always make a car look great cosmetically, as most car buying is an emotional experience. The thing with all 'vettes is that if they are not maintained then they will "ride like trucks". If you are buying from a dealer see if you can get any contact info from the previous owner and do what you did and drive it. Old saying: "if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is probably a duck". Happy hunting!

Assuming you are talking about a "Corvette only" dealer, I have found that many of these are boutique-type places that buy relatively low mileage cars, then have them detailed out to the nth degree, but the cars often drive like hell and are priced at the highest end of the market. The showrooms often seem to reek of Route 66 signs, James Dean and Marilyn Monroe posters, black-and-white tile floors, too! We have a number of these places here in Texas. What they do is lure you in with a super clean car, on the assumption that a clean car equals a good car. Unless there is something about this particular car that really attracts you (except the convenience that it is there), I would keep looking for awhile. After you have tried a few other cars, you can decide what seems right/what doesn't about these cars, generally, and then come back to this one if you want. In the meantime, by all means try out Ebay.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Houston, Texas

Peterd,
In June, I purchased a 1990 Convertible that had 53,000 miles on it (so, on a miles/year basis, fairly close to the '93 you were looking at.) I fell in love with it, and I've always wanted a convertible- so I bought it.

But there were some issues I had to get sorted out. The first was the power antenna, which had developed a bad relay and stopped working in August. Since this was something I had flagged as an issue with the dealer before I bought it, they fixed it.

The next big issue I discovered in early September (when the price of gas was beginning to go through the roof) was that the filler tube nozzle just inside the gas cap had become worn away. I discovered it when I went to "top off" the gas with one last squeeze of the gas pump- I had a significant quantity of gas spilled all over the pavement.

The third one, most expensive of all, happened in mid September. On my way back from Colorado Springs one evening, enjoying the top down cruise, the little battery symbol light would start coming on (not fully, sort of like it was trying to make it's mind up about it) whenever I came to a stop at a light. So I took it in to have this investigated. My worst fears (from a troubleshooting perspective) were confirmed when I was told I had an alternator that was well on its way to going bad. I had it, and all the belts replaced.

Since then, it's performed flawlessly, and in hindsight, although my '90 was obviously well cared for by the previous owner, I chalk these issues up to the fact that it wasn't driven regularly, and therefore didn't receive regular maintenance. I suspect it spent long stretches of time hooked up to a battery tender.

The '93 you're looking at might be a similar story. If the exterior and interior are in good condition, what you may be looking at is having to do some mechanical work, perhaps a tune up, brake replacement, etc. I guess it comes down to how set you are on having this particular Corvette and sinking some time, effort and money into it after you buy it.

Hope this helps.

:w
-Patrick

peterd said:
Just started looking and drove a '93 w/ 47K miles at a Vet dealer. Kinda surprised it drove like a tank (idled rough) & didn't brake as good as i have heard. With only 47K i was expecting better.

An thoughts ?????

It depends what you are coming out of. If you are coming out of an import, it will definately seem like a truck. My wife has an '02 maxima which makes my '96 CE feel like a truck and my '71 LS-5 feel like a go-cart. There are what they are, not really good DD. If the car is a convert enen more so. Not a slam on vettes, I do like them(I own 2) Its just imports are more refined. As far as the idle goes, they computer could have been reprogrammed. I suggest you drive a couple just to get the feel of what a good one should drive like.

Ray

Ray

I have always had the best luck buying from individuals. The best situation is buying from an original owner and there are many '93's out there still in the hands of the original owner. I bought a '92 with 36K miles earlier this year from the original owner. Health reasons for his wife meant he needed to sell as she could no longer get in and out of it. But I got a complete history of the car and no history surprises like you can get from used car mills.

Always have any car checked out first-but if you know the history and how the car has been taken care of, (it is obvious with a couple of conversations with the owner), most of the potential big surprises are taken care of. I had the owner take it to a Chevy dealer who charged me $30 bucks, (Orlando area), to check it out so I knew the major components were OK. Good luck with the hunt!

My first vette was a 93 with 33000 miles. This car did not run like a truck! After a few months though, it started to idle a little rough so I put a can of Seafoam in the tank and it ran and idled great after that. I would look at some other cars if I were you.

My 92 doesn't idle rough(38 000 miles).
It doesn't drive as smooth as my '03 Mb 430 but that suits me just fine.I'm sure if you compare any '93 to it you might feel better,don't forget it's been around for 12 years,sitting or driving.

The biggest problem with first time Corvette buyers is that they have this mind set that a Vette is this perfect machine. You have to remember that when you are buying one that is 10-15 years old it does or will have problems. Electrical or mechanical parts wear out regardless of mileage. That is a fact. Keep in mind that it is in fact a CAR and will have problems now or in the future. When I have a problem of sorts with mine I just chalk it up wear or age and replace or fix it and go on. I bought my first one in '78 and have had 4 of them a C2, C3 AND TWO C4'S. They all have had things go wrong with them. I always fixed them and never let the problems accumulate. The longer you keep it the more items over the years will show up. Just repair it enjoy it and move on. Good luck!

Corvett 101

First thing to ask the seller is did they clean the engine?(Steam or solvents and high pressure water) If so the opti spark could have been toasted by them causing the rough running. If thats the case they are going to have to fix it to make it saleable press them on this. Next issure if not the opti then how long has the gas been in the car? Believe it or not gas has a shelf life. If the gas is over 6 months old ask the dealer if he will drain the gas and put fresh in it for another test drive to see if this fixes the rough running. Dont forget the C4 has a reputation of being like a go cart in ride and handling that's why they were not allowed to race against the porsche's of there day especially in the rain because of there superior handling and brakes. The other manufactures had SCCA ban them because they were too fast for them. They then formed a Corvette only class in SCCA racing. It helps a low milage car a lot to get some spray white greas and go over all the seals and rubber pieces that support things it takes a lot of the harshness out of the body. :)

peterd said:

An thoughts ?????

You also should drive other C4's. the brakes and steering are tight and should be. Engine... how rough? 1993 should have a smooth engine, but even that is relative to other cars. it isn't smooth compared to a lincoln town car...

also, there are many maintenance items that people just don't do... like flush brake fluid. That is a necessary thing for good braking, only costs a few bucks in materials, but 99% of the people out there never do it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom