Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1995 Resonator

PLRX

If I remove the exhaust's resonator (muffler under the car), what do i expect?
  • More noise?
  • Vibrations?
Can I install a "crossover or X pipe", what it would do for the car:lou

I've thought about doing the same thing. From what I've heard, it will definitely make the car louder (and of course you will get more resonance inside the car)
There is little if any performance gain. The car will just sound "beefier".

I know that they are available from www.drgas.com

Guys,

I was wondering what the inside of the resonator looks like. How does it function?

From what I've read, it is just unrestricted pipe w/ a sound baffling cover. That is why there are no performance gains to be had cuz you're basically exchanging straight pipe for straight pipe minus the sound reducing cover.

Don't quote me on this though...

I installed an X pipe and it removed some resonance from my system and gave it some more midrange in the power curve.

When I bought my 95, it had already had the resonator removed. The resonance inside the car was pretty annoying, especially at highway speeds (68 to 80 mph). I finally had an X-pipe installed, after the muffler shop told me it would improve power and help on the resonance. After it was installed, the resonance was worse, and I lost a little in the Quarter. You never know just how it will affect your car. I can't drive with the windows up because of the resonance.

Resonator

The resonator has 1 7/8" pipe through it. There is 2.5" pipe going into and out of the resonator. Therefor it is like puting a piece of 3/8" pipe in a 3/4" pipe you can only get out the volume of water that a 3/8 pipe can flow. So with a few calculations what the resonator does is to restrick the flow about 77%. The x pipe basically creates a flow interference were the exhaust gases have to cross over each other. A straight pipe is preferable for that reason it will not cause the flow to pulsate.:confused

John Robinson said:
The x pipe basically creates a flow interference were the exhaust gases have to cross over each other. :confused

John -
Did you really mean to use the word interference? I have always heard that an "X" pipe evens out the exhaust pulsations and in fact a pulse from one bank can help to scavenge exhaust from the other.

John Robinson said:
A straight pipe is preferable for that reason it will not cause the flow to pulsate.:confused

I would think that exhaust pulses would be present even in a straight pipe because the pulses are generated by the engine itself (exhaust valve opening) rather than the particular conduit which conducts the exhaust to atmospheric pressure.

Anyone out there can shed more light on this?
Terry

What about an H pipe? Is it possible for C4's to have H pipes?

X Pipes

If the mixing of exhaust gases from both sides were desirable then we would not ever use duel system's for performance. I agree that the pulses are created by the exhaust valve opening. However if the space for the exhaust gas to scavage out into is full from a cylinder's exhaust from the other bank then you do not get full scavaging of the exhaust and therefor you leave some of the exhaust in the cylinder. This then prevents the intake from getting a full fresh charge into the cylinder. The results of this is a loss of power.
tnovot said:
John -
Did you really mean to use the word interference? I have always heard that an "X" pipe evens out the exhaust pulsations and in fact a pulse from one bank can help to scavenge exhaust from the other.

I would think that exhaust pulses would be present even in a straight pipe because the pulses are generated by the engine itself (exhaust valve opening) rather than the particular conduit which conducts the exhaust to atmospheric pressure.

Anyone out there can shed more light on this?
Terry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom