Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 1996 Corvette AC Malfunction After High RPM's

1996 LT4 Topic

yellowatc

Corvette
1994 Corvette
First of all, thank you very much 6 Shooter (for the solution) and everyone else who posted to the AC doesn't blow through vents discussion. I saved ALOT of money by fixing the AC myself which involved adding a longer bolt and nut on the HVAC and vacuum coupler. It was as difficult to get to as described by everyone and took tremendous patience (which I often lack) but $1 for bolt / nut versus $350 for HVAC programmer.

After fixing the HVAC and replacing the vacuum T under the right rail cover just to make sure, my AC blows cold as ever throught the vents, however when I put the pedal to the floor the ac continues to blow hard and as soon as I let off the gas, the ac turns off completely. I have to turn the unit off and back on at the dash controller and then the ac starts blowing cold again. This is opposite of ever other car I have ever owned. On all of them when you kick it down the ac would slow down and then resume after taking foot off gas and vacuum rebuild. In this case however the whole ac turns itself off and all you get is just the fan blowing when vacuum returns, until you turn unit off/on.

Any ideas from the forum? As additional info, cruise control still doesn't work even after replacing the T. I have vacuum (at least at idle) at the cruise servo under the computer.

Thanks again to everyone.

AC blows out at floor and defroster vents

My 1996 Collectors Edition Convertable has this same problem. I cannot find your original question or the repair procedure.

Mike

1996 AC Malfunction

My 1996 Collectors Edition Convertable has this same problem. I cannot find your original question or the repair procedure.

Mike

First my air wouldn't blow thru the dash vents only the defroster and floor vents. I was able to correct this by removing the power programmer up under the dash above the gas pedal (What a Pain), replacing the silver bolt that the vacuum harness attaches to with a longer bolt. I then put a real nut on the bolt, tightened down and then air would go to whichever vent I chose. When you have the programmer out, with the car and ac running, if you insert a small four inch piece of vaccumm hose into the black hose of the harness and jump from port to port on the harness you can make your different vents open and close. This is a quick check to ensure the actual door motors up inside the dash are working correctly. If for any reason the bolt process doesn't work, well then you need to buy a programmer which is pretty expensive.

Don't forget to also replace the vacuum T up under the passenger side lifter cover. It costs $2.95 at Autozone, Pep Boys, O'Reilly's etc.. It's just for added insurance.

Once my vents were working correctly, then the ac kept turning off when I let off the gas. This was an electrical issue ~ meaning I had to replace the electronic control unit in the dash above the radio which corrected that problem. Now ac works fine. Hope this helps.

Has anyone reprogramed the car's ECM for a performance tune? OBDll cars will turn off the a/c compressor under full throttle but it should come back on when the rpms drop back to whatever the ECM sees as normal.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom