Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1996 left-side cat

Corvette
1996 LT4 Collector Edition
Hi all,

I need to replace the left-side cat on my '96 with the LT4, and am having trouble locating one that won't require me to mortgage the house! A used piece from one of the Vette-only recyclers is $300.

My question is this- does anyone know if the left-side cat is the same for all the late-model C4s? Ecklers says it's the same, which may be true, as the bung for the second O2 sensor is in the pipe downstream of the cat.

Thanks very much for your help!

Barry

The picture on Eckler's site looks the same as yours, and they list it for your car. So what's the question?

Don't bother with a used one. You should Google and find a stock replacement cheaper than that. For $300 you can replace both with free flow cats and call it upgraded.

Vette parts are usually higher, but this item is reasonable, you just need to look around.

Guys, thanks for your responses!

Steve, yeah you're right, it does look the same. I just can't tell for sure if it has the O2 sensor bung in the right place. Ecklers says that it does, but I'm just trying to verify before pulling that trigger. My question was to someone with a late-model C4 (92-96), does their left-hand cat have an O2 sensor in that same place?

tlong, other than the Ecklers part, the least expensive stock replacement part I've found is $630 from mileaautogroup.com. The problem seems to be that the '96 model went to OBDII, so everybody wants more for that part, even though the '95 and earlier part seems to be the same.

Thanks again!
Barry

92-96 is the same on the left per TLD here in Hotlanna. They have a reman unit for $275 with $75 core exchange. It's The Last Detail on the web.

My bud Jason at Vette2Vette is looking for a known mileage used and going to call me. He's A OK.

He has one in great shape for $175 shipped.1-815-673-6200. Bought there and saved big with no issues.

tlong, you simply rock!! I will call them. Thank you for checking that out for me.

You gotta love the Corvette community in general, and this web site in particular!

Thanks again,
Barry

The LT4 are greats but here is the bad thing of it. Parts are hard to find. You cat looks different than mine (I have a 95). Did you try E-Bay?

Tim, thanks again for your help the cat problem! And thanks to everybody else that chimed in. I wound up finding a local salvage yard with a '95 cat, and it bolted right in. She passed the smog test (sniffer and visual), and I can continue to drive her on the streets of California!

Barry :w

Sweet..

'That thing got a LT4 in it?'

'Yor fixin' ta find out'

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom