Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

1st time on a dyno...

Corvette
Blk/Blk '96 LT4 Coupe
The local Vette club is hosting a dyno-day this weekend. As my car is pretty much where I want it to be, it's time for me to get it dynoed. I'd like to have a bit of a heads up on the process beforehand so would someone pls inform this noob as to what goes on there. I've seen the machine but I'm curious about what final gear you're in, rpm ranges & any tips that may be helpful.

Thx in advance,
Jeff

I'm no dyno expert. But I believe you generally want the gearbox in the 1:1 gear as it will have a bit less driveline loss. That would be 4th gear on a 6-speed, or 3rd gear on an auto.

I wonder if you can drive the car yourself or if you have to have the dyno operator do it. I'm generally not keen on people driving my car. :)

Have fun!

When I had my ex-92 dynoed, the tech drove it onto the dyno and parked with the rear tires on the rollers. They strapped it down to keep it from moving like tying it down on a trailer. The tech put a fan in front of the car to blow air on the radiator.
We talked about the gear ratios as he wanted to use the closest gear to 1:1 which is 4th on the 6-speed manual.
He asked about max RPM I wanted tested - I wanted 6000.
He hooked up the wires and started it up with the rollers free to move. He started in 1st to get the rollers up to speed and shifted up to 4th. He let the RPM stabilize near 1500 RPM and told the computer that he was ready to test. At that point the dyno started loading the rollers and he pressed the gas bring the motor smoothly up to 6000 RPM before letting off.
After a short cool down, he did it again.
Another cool down and he did it again.
I got a print out of all three curves and my car got a little better with each run. Maybe the plugs cleaned up some with each run!

I also paid attention to how the car looked on the dyno and how the exhaust looked. I must have had the tires and drive train balanced well, because it was smooth as glass - even the tech commented on how smooth it felt. 6000 in 4th gear is hauling butt so the tires ( rears at least ) better be balanced right.

Talk with the tech about the RPM range you use and what your fuel shutoff RPM is, that way he can avoid taking it to the shutoff point as that is not the best move.

Thx, great info. Everything I really wanted to know. :)

Right now my rev limiter is set a little above 6800. I figure that 6500 may be a good place to stop, what do you think? The car will freely rev to 6800...but I'm not tryin' to break anything. Any recommendations?

See my sig for mods. I'm hopin' to see somewhere in the area of 350 rwhp...

I think I'm more excited to see your results than you are! :D

Edmond said:
I think I'm more excited to see your results than you are! :D

Me too!!!!!!!! I love Jeffs car I think it is one of the best C4s on the forums In time and with some work and money I hope mine will be as nice as his.

soggytaco said:
Me too!!!!!!!! I love Jeffs car I think it is one of the best C4s on the forums In time and with some work and money I hope mine will be as nice as his.

Honestly, I think Jeff has one of the nicest cars on the forum. It is a pretty kick ass ride that he's got! :D

Jeff,

How long did it take for you to get the car to this point? Is this it for you or are you going to mod it even more?

1st off, THX FELLAS!!! :D

Ya know, I bought the car virtually stock just about two years ago. I told Lisa that all it needs are rims...yeah right :L ...little did I know. Then I joined this forum and the addiction began. I kept reading about everybody else's mod this & mod that and it was killin' me. I HAD TO HAVE IT! All said though, you never realize how awesome your car can be until all the mods start to come together and you can really tell the difference from stock. This baby ran great stock BUT it runs soooo much better now! I started to think that it'll never end (and so did Lisa :L ) but I think I'm about there - could always do some suspension upgrades, and probably may eventually, but hardly a necessity. The only thing really left on my to-do list is 4.10 gears.

The cool thing is that this car is my DD and although it's been somewhat "modded" it is very streetable, in some ways more so than it was. It shifts better, handles better and even Lisa says, it just runs better. It sure does!
She finds it easier to drive now than initially - probably the clutch & shifter she's really referring to cuz the car definitely has more of a "beast" quality to it now ie: Lumpy idle, LT headers w/ no cats etc...FWIW, the Hotcam is a great cam if you want to maintain streetablity and add the LT's and whoa!

Anyhow, it's really you guys that I need to blame..err emm..I mean thank for making my car what it is today. I've learned soooo much from the members here and my car is the better for it - although my bank balance may not be. :L All things said, it's money well spent cuz I love this car & I love what it's become.

Next up after the dyno is a trip to the track before the summer heat sets in.
As w/ my dyno #'s, I'll post my track results as well. Realistically she's just a car - and there are far quicker ones than mine - and I'm not expecting "miracles" from either "test" but I think she'll stack up where she should. From what I've learned here, I think that I've put together just the things that my LT4 needed to get to the next level.

Thx for listening,
Jeff :w

You ought to see 350 easy enough. The Hot Cam, 52mm TB, large injectors and headers ought to put you there.

My LT4+ 92 was still running the 48mm TB, 24# injectors and stock manifolds and managed 328. Many people I talked with thought that if I added the 52mm TB and 28 to 30# injectors my car would have touched 350 easy enough.

I'm looking forward to those results too! I'm sure Jeff will be happy with the results! -John

Jeff How many miles on your car? And how many have you put on it since you got it?

soggytaco said:
Jeff How many miles on your car? And how many have you put on it since you got it?

I bought it July/2004 w/ 21k on the clock, now I'm at just under 50k.

Fearless to own a black car in Phoenix, especially a plastic one.

tlong said:
Fearless to own a black car in Phoenix, especially a plastic one.

I'm not sweatin' it - excuse the pun - cuz w/ a few more mods, I'll be able to outrun the sun. :L

fwiw...a good tint job helps.

soggytaco said:
Did you do the dyno run?

2 runs for $50
Best of the 2:

332.0 rwhp
319.07 rwtq

Not the #'s I was hoping for but the same went for many others there.
There were a couple LS1's (C5's) before me each w/ Corsa and CAI and one pulled 302 & the other 308 rwhp. Both guys were not pleased w/ one guy saying he'd done much better at another dyno. Right before me there was a 93 LT1 w/ Hotcam/heads & intake/EM Longtubes/CAI and he pulled 311. If you take all those #'s into consideration then I didn't do that bad...

Gonna take it to another dyno here in town in a couple of weeks just to see how I stack up there...

All in all though it was a kick in the a$$! My car was "screaming" on that dyno! One other thing that kinda bothered me was that I had zero to do w/ the process. They pulled the car in, hooked it up, ran it, & pulled it out. I did nothing...kinda sucked. I think she's got more in her. An LS1 w/ Corsa & CAI should avg better than 305 rwhp IMO so I would think 332 is low...

Here's a pic...

110Jeff4-med.JPG

That seems to be a huge discrenpancy (332.0 and 319.7), at least to me. I've never put my car on a dyno, but usually on the tests I see on TV the runs are within 1, 2, or 3 hp of each other.

JJS said:
That seems to be a huge discrenpancy (332.0 and 319.7), at least to me. I've never put my car on a dyno, but usually on the tests I see on TV the runs are within 1, 2, or 3 hp of each other.

332.0 rwhp
319.7 rwTORQUE! ;)

My 1st run was 328rwhp

JEFNLSA said:
2 runs for $50
Best of the 2:

332.0 rwhp
319.07 rwtq

Not the #'s I was hoping for but the same went for many others there.

I think that is great your looking at like 405 HP at the crank. What did you think you would see.

Here's a thread by the supporting vendor of the Dyno Day:

Xtreme Motorsports---DYNO DAY---Results are in

Well, First things first. I would like to say thank you to all that showed up and participated in our Dyno Day for Corvettes. Everything went well and we felt we had a good day overall. As far as winners go....with Xtreme Motorsports getting excluded.

Glenn Pillar won the high HP for the POWER ADDER. Glenn's car made 676hp. He was followed by Drew 592hp and Phil 569hp.

Winner of the NATURALLY ASPIRATED is Steve Nirk. Steve came in with 362hp. He was followed by Jeff Blythe with 332hp and Bob Seitz with 316hp.

Thanks again to all that came. Wished more would have showed as we had a few pizzas left over.

Hope to do this again after the heat wave hits.

Chad

Xtreme Motorsports Inc. 1-480-517-4969 office/ 1-480-517-4971 fax

Click Here to Email Us!

Kinda made me feel better...:L - Jeff

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom