Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 2008 Paddle Shift Programming

Victory Red C6

Corvette
2007 Victory Red Coupe
Does anyone know if the quicker shift programming used in the 2008 models can be downloaded into a 2007 model? Has anyone asked their dealer about this? Any information is greatly appreciated.

There is an article in Corvette Quarterly about the changes to the manual and automatic transmissions for the 2008 models. In the article it indicates that no hardware changes were made, only software changes. To me that would indicate that the programming was changed, with all the same components, and thinking that this should be a do-able thing.

I would like to do this, I feel that the time between shifts (when using paddles) seems to long. In the article they claim 40% quicker response on downshifts, and a 25% faster response on upshifts.

Thanks!!

I'd be interested in this answer also.

Hecox

HI there,
Once again, the challenge is your VIN>
Each TCM program are sensitive and needed per VIN.
This way, the correlation between the transmission control module and the engine control module work.
Once you program in a different VIN to the TCM, the ECM thinks there is something wrong.
So, until you are able to reflash it without changing the VIN, it most likely will not work.
Allthebest, c4c5

Why doesn't GM offer a reflash for 06/07 A6 cars that will provide them with the 08 capability?

Why doesn't GM offer a reflash for 06/07 A6 cars that will provide them with the 08 capability?

I called and turns out they do have a special program just for folks with older Vettes .... they called it "Trade-In" & you just have to stop by with your current hot rod & they'll fix you right up!! :rotfl

What dealer did you contact?:)

I called and turns out they do have a special program just for folks with older Vettes .... they called it "Trade-In" & you just have to stop by with your current hot rod & they'll fix you right up!! :rotfl

I have an 08 and an 06 and I got the latest shifter programming in my 08 - I push the clutch in, lift the throttle and bang the next gear as fast as possible and it works pretty good -- lots of practice. :chuckle

Since the wife is using the 06 as her daily driver, she ain't complaining as she never uses the paddles. When I drive the '06, I'd like to have the upgraded programming. Oh well. :crazy

The paddle shifter is a joke. I have an 08 and if people think using this saves time or makes the car any faster they must have lived in a closet. Just put it in drive and go. Let the computer shift for you it is the same. Maybe if the after market tuners tune out the TM and that ends up making it faster then maybe so. My 07 Denalli has the thumb shifter and it is as fast as my 08 Vettes. Dont get me wrong the car feels fast but using the paddle sifter is a novelty that should wear off fast. Mine did like 2 times.

I like using the paddles because I can hold it in each gear as long as I want....listening to the exhaust sometimes has a therapudic (sp) affect to it. If I go to the drags, I keep it in "S" and let it shift on its own.....:upthumbs

I've found the paddle shifting worked great on the track - road track that is.
For daily driving or the drags, fully auto mode is the way to go.
The '06 just has more lag between punching the paddle and something happening. You can get used to it but it would be better if it was quicker. I haven't driven a paddle '08 yet but I'd love to compare them.

Paddle Shifter Delays

I have an 06 w/paddles. When I complained to the dealer that I thought the downshift delay was entirely too long he said that in the owners manual it suggests you turn off the traction control. I tried that and it seems the shifting is a bit quicker but still not as solid as the 08s.

Do you guys notice that the '06~07 Automatics won't rev beyond 4k in neutral or park? Disgusting when you want to romp on it and let the pipes roar. I put straight pipes on mine and it still sucks when I try to rev it.
Has anyone bypassed or disconnected the governor that GM apparently put on the earlier paddle shift Vettes. I want it to rev up quick like my C5 and scare the crap out of those Mushtangs...

I have an 06 w/paddles. When I complained to the dealer that I thought the downshift delay was entirely too long he said that in the owners manual it suggests you turn off the traction control. I tried that and it seems the shifting is a bit quicker but still not as solid as the 08s.

Do you guys notice that the '06~07 Automatics won't rev beyond 4k in neutral or park? Disgusting when you want to romp on it and let the pipes roar. I put straight pipes on mine and it still sucks when I try to rev it.
Has anyone bypassed or disconnected the governor that GM apparently put on the earlier paddle shift Vettes. I want it to rev up quick like my C5 and scare the crap out of those Mushtangs...

I am new to this forum, however I am a member of another forum where I've made two posts that involve a study of the actual shift time of the transmission once a shift sequence starts and also a study of the actual delay in the start sequence of a shift using the paddles as input. If you're interested, here are the links:

Transmission shift time quantified (eliminating the paddles shift delay portion of the equation): HELP - Transmission shifting problem - Corvette Forum

Paddles shift delay quantified: 2008 A6 Paddle Shift delays quantified - thoughts? - Corvette Forum

Hope this helps take some of the mystery out of the time delays in the system. If anyone else has done studies of this part of the system, please feel free to post up! :beer

great job inthehunt2 thanks for the effort and thoroughness

Someone with a 2008 automatic transmission posted on another Corvette forum that his dealer applied an updated software program that improved shifting with the paddles. Is anyone here aware of this software update? If so, could you give us a TSB number or some other means of identifying this updateto our dealers? It was posted that this update applies only to 2008 and 2009 Corvettes with automatic transmissions.

Someone with a 2008 automatic transmission posted on another Corvette forum that his dealer applied an updated software program that improved shifting with the paddles. Is anyone here aware of this software update? If so, could you give us a TSB number or some other means of identifying this updateto our dealers? It was posted that this update applies only to 2008 and 2009 Corvettes with automatic transmissions.
My 08 shifts about as fast as my wife would shift if she knew how to! If the shift speed is software, why can't someone tell us who has a program?:eyerole

My 08 shifts about as fast as my wife would shift if she knew how to! If the shift speed is software, why can't someone tell us who has a program?:eyerole
I think LS1edit & HPtuners can both adjust your shift speeds and your shift locations (rpmwise.) Shift pressures can be adjusted too.
Don't forget, the trans (MXO) computer has "adaptive learning" capabilities. It learns how you drive and adjusts to it. If you are just cruising all the time, it'll become "lazy."
If you want it to be the most "aggressive" (while maintaining your warranty,) then it must be reflashed @ the dealership. I think it can be done up to 3 or 4 times.
Hell, I like the automatic, and look what I drive!:W

A6 starting out in First when using Sport would be nice.

What I would love is a program change for the 2007 A6 when in "S" sport mode to start out in first gear. To start in First with the A6, I need to use the paddles, but I don't really want to, I just want a little throw back in the seat if I want.

HI there,

Lets function first on how the transmission operates. It is NOT like the older Corvette transmissions which uses accumulators to fill excess pressure prior to shifting. The variable bleed solenoids vary PRESSURE/FILL to avoid a harsh shift.

The transmission control module is programmed for so many different variables that its the best compromise for all conditions.

I can tell you of 4 6L80 that had aftermarket calibrations that raised shifting pressure to the point where the bronze bushings were worn to the point of failure.

I had to overhaul them, replacing drums because of this.

Your 6L80 can shift faster and give better acceleration times than most anything.

And the 6L actually give faster clutch apply than any other previous transmission.

Allthebest, c4c5

HI there,

Lets function first on how the transmission operates. It is NOT like the older Corvette transmissions which uses accumulators to fill excess pressure prior to shifting. The variable bleed solenoids vary PRESSURE/FILL to avoid a harsh shift.

The transmission control module is programmed for so many different variables that its the best compromise for all conditions.

I can tell you of 4 6L80 that had aftermarket calibrations that raised shifting pressure to the point where the bronze bushings were worn to the point of failure.

I had to overhaul them, replacing drums because of this.

Your 6L80 can shift faster and give better acceleration times than most anything.

And the 6L actually give faster clutch apply than any other previous transmission.

Allthebest, c4c5
Thanks for the response. Do you know if there's a GM update for the automatic transmission software for 2008 Corvettes?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom