Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 2016 Corvette Z06&Z07 8-speed (RPOM5U) automatic transmission coolers

2010corvette

Corvette
2006 Hatchback Coupe Victory Red
Did Chevrolet Corvette Engineers add second cooling system to the Z06 with automatic transmission?
Couldn't find info on this on the internet.

:thanks:

I'd have to do some research to know for sure but I suspect a car ordered with Z07 and the 8-spd (an unusual combination for a track car, indeed) comes with extra cooling hardware for the transmission. I don't know whether or not it's a "second cooling" system, or just an enhanced version of the regular system.

Last edited:
There are no differences in transmission cooling systems between manual and automatic equipped Z06s other than where the location of some of the cooling system components due to size differences in the transmissions.

Thanks for all of the replies.
Due to M5U transmission over heat problems on the track, I heard Corvette Engineers were to add second heat exchanger to front of Corvette and route the cooling lines to transmission under center of Corvette.

I also followed up with our Corvette Service Tech here at the dealership. There is additional cooling everywhere for a Z07 equipped Z06.

Thanks for the reply.
Does the 2016 Corvette Z06&Z07&M5U have an auxiliary transmission heat exchanger either at the front of car or on the under belly?

Thanks for the reply.
Does the 2016 Corvette Z06&Z07&M5U have an auxiliary transmission heat exchanger either at the front of car or on the under belly?

No. The heat exchanger is in the left rear quarter just like it is for all Z06s.

No. The heat exchanger is in the left rear quarter just like it is for all Z06s.

Thank You for the reply which now answers my question.
Chevrolet Corvette Engineers did not add second heat exchanger to the Z06 in 2016 to help cool the transmission on the track.
Apparently if owners want the extra system they need to buy the parts over the counter and pay for the installation.
It's a shame the Z06 Corvette is advertised the most capable Corvette ever and the A8 transmission overheats on the track after two laps.

PS: My next Corvette will probably be purchased from your dealership.
Like the indoor inventory of your new Corvette's and the no fee agreements such as a doc fee.
Other Chevrolet dealers have $108,000.00 Corvette Z06&Z07 out in the winter weather and are washed with a broom on a stick by contract car washers that damage the paint work with swirl marks.

Last edited:
The scoop on the coolers for the automatic trans.

Thank You for the reply which now answers my question.
Chevrolet Corvette Engineers did not add second heat exchanger to the Z06 in 2016 to help cool the transmission on the track.
Apparently if owners want the extra system they need to buy the parts over the counter and pay for the installation.
It's a shame the Z06 Corvette is advertised the most capable Corvette ever and the A8 transmission overheats on the track after two laps.

PS: My next Corvette will probably be purchased from your dealership.
Like the indoor inventory of your new Corvette's and the no fee agreements such as a doc fee.
Other Chevrolet dealers have $108,000.00 Corvette Z06&Z07 out in the winter weather and are washed with a broom on a stick by contract car washers that damage the paint work with swirl marks.

I have an automatic equipped ZO6, and I can tell you that they have a small cooler (with fan) inside the left rear fender (by the trans)(the standard cooling option) and then they extend two lines up the left edge of the car to the front where there is a small radiator (heat exchanger) that lays flat just inside the grill. The run up to the front and the small radiator is known as the "heavy duty cooling" option on the manual trans. cars, but comes standard on the automatics already.
Side note, it's actually the engine, not the transmission that is the overheating issue, with mine anyway. I added the power steering cooling duct and that cured that problem too.
I'm getting ready to add a secondary radiator for the coolant, but mainly it needs to get more air to the radiators.
All that said, it's an incredible value for the money, and it is flawless on the street, where it lives 80% of the time.

So where do we buy the optional "cooling" for our Z06. Anyone in charge to know what we need to do and where we get it?

So where do we buy the optional "cooling" for our Z06. Anyone in charge to know what we need to do and where we get it?

Contact your local Chevrolet dealer - parts/service departments and see if they have the necessary parts in stock.

where to go

Not knowing if you have an automatic or manual car, we'll start with the power steering cooling duct. This is an actual Service Bulletin from GM / Chevy, so the minimal parts required and the labor is free, if you complain of the power steering heating up, at the Chevy Dealership. It takes about an hour or so and is a fix that looks cool when done, and really works.

As far as the optional cooling radiator, as long as you have a manual trans. car and didn't order the optional trans. heavy duty cooling, then yes, from what I understand it does help, but truly is not the cure, if you're going to seriously push the car, like I like to. It's the same cooler that would go there for the trans, except it comes with different rubber hose ends to hook to the cooling system instead. They will try to charge you $850 or so for the cooler plus labor, but it is supposed to reduce temps, when running hard on the track, by up to 14*.
I happen to know that Corning Chevy, in Corning CA, has one of those coolers in stock.

I have an automatic car, so the space for that cooler is already filled up for me, so I'm going in a different direction to try to control temps.:)

Not knowing if you have an automatic or manual car, we'll start with the power steering cooling duct. This is an actual Service Bulletin from GM / Chevy, so the minimal parts required and the labor is free, if you complain of the power steering heating up, at the Chevy Dealership. It takes about an hour or so and is a fix that looks cool when done, and really works.

Here's the link to the service bulletin:

2014 - 2016 Corvette: Service Bulletin: #PI1535A: Track Use Power Steering Gear Cooling Duct - (May 24, 2016)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom