Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

220+ duration/high lift cams: anyone running them with modified TPI?

bradvette

Corvette
1990 Bright Red Coupe, 6 speed, Z51-FX3, Loaded
To anyone who has TPI-style intake (modifed to whatever degree) and ported/aftermarket heads, AND is running a cam that is in the 220-224* intake duration and/or lift in the .500+ area, I would like to hear from you.

How solid is the performance? I've been very strongly considering the LT4 HOT cam in my setup, but have been repeatedly told that it won't be enough. Surprising, the modeling numbers look very good. I've been given strong recommendations that look like 222/230: http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&action=partSpec&partNumber=109831&lvl=2&prt=5

or 224/230 from Comp Cams Xtreme Energy line, p/n 08-503-8, XR276HR.

Again, the desktop modeling numbers look good on these two cams as well. Before I take the plunge and order a cam like these, I need to know whjat folks out there who have actually tested them at the track know in the real world. And I'm talking L98/modified TPI, not LT1's. My setup to include:

Accel SR base, ported
Accel LTRs, polished
Ported stock plenum
52mm TB
AFR 195cc heads, milled to 58cc chambers
Headers & exhaust

I know cam companies want to sell their cams, but I'm a little surprised that different folks at them keep telling me 222 and even 224 duration intake lobes. If they're right, I'l love to hear what people on this forum WHO KNOW FROM REAL EXPERIENCE running these in their L98's have to say as well.

This may not help but I have a Miniram with a 233/233 HR cam,,,

My previous cam was a 225/233 HR, and it was very streetable

LD85 said:
This may not help but I have a Miniram with a 233/233 HR cam,,,

My previous cam was a 225/233 HR, and it was very streetable
Also keep in minid LD85 has 406 Cubes instead of 350 which will make a 220+ intake dureation cam seem milder then the same cam in a 350

-=Jeff=- said:
Also keep in minid LD85 has 406 Cubes instead of 350 which will make a 220+ intake dureation cam seem milder then the same cam in a 350
Good point! Are'nt there some guys using the Lingenfelter 219 cam in 350's?

Yes, there seems to be alot of LPE 219 cams out there is 350cids. I'm completely new to all this, but I know the stock intake is a 305-oriented pos, so I bought the modified TPI (I want stock look, and will be fine with the somewhat less performance than full SR setup.....but I may go full SR runners + plenumk someday....and then maybe not), and decided to go all-out and get AFR 195 heads with stock 58cc size chambers. So now the cam is a real mind-bender. I don't want to copy setups from 10 years ago. I don't want a single pattern cam. I want to do more than just imagine that say, a 222 duration cam will work very well. The numbers say so, but I can't go by just this. There ahs got to be guys out there who run 222 or maybe even 224 cams with TPI style intakes (Big base, Large tube runners, ported plenum).

I really need to hear from those who have actually done this - in a 350cid engine, otherwise I'm playing guessing games. I don't know if I can truct the cam companies - I mean, have they actually seen this done?

So the dilemma continues................

this may help

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c4/joe90/index.shtml

Also, I just took on a project to build a 406, I did not want a "cookie cutter" engine so I ventured off on my own thinking there had to be a better way.

Well after blowing my budget out of the water experimenting I finally have what I was looking for but it is not too different from what some others have.

If you think there is a better way and you can get several more HP/TQ etc, then it is worth it, but when guys have engines running very well and predictably,,,, it is better to "cookie cutter" your package and limit the financial out lay of missing the target and having teh occassional "bad luck".

I said “money is not an object", but at the end I could have bought a 434 built by professionals for what I sunk into my own learning experience. Just my .02

Bradvette,
I have a CompCam in my vette which got installed with a rebuild several years ago. I haven't yet gotten to the TPI upgrade of a SR + intake, but it is on my mind. However, I can comment on my performance with a 356 C/I. .03 over.
I am using a 290HR-12 CompCam and it has an intake 230, Lift of .510.
This doesn't start humming until it reaches 4 grand. Runs well up till 7 grand
but I hesitate to go beyond that mark. Actually allows a greater redline.
You want to get pushed back in your seats. Well, This cam will help along with a 4:09 rear gear.
Other modifications were needed on the stock valves to allow for the heavier duty cam. Can't use stock heads.
I am running other mods, but you will definitely be able to get better pick up and go with one of these racing cams with or without SR mod....

Hope this info interests you.

Mjsrun

i bought a ZZ409 cam from forum member -=Jeff=- almost have all my parts for a built longblock 350. but before i bought it i knew my plan of attack after 2 years of researching these cars with L98 setups and heard with high duration in the 230+ range will not take advantage of the rpm range like in a LT1 car but since you don't have a stock TPI setup you should be fine with a high 220 range cam. keep it in the 112-114 ls

I have a Modified TPI on a 383 the SLP runners have been ported and shortend with a ported baseplate and plenum

tpirunner1.jpg

to raise the torque peak the cam is an Isky Hyd roller for early style blocks
RR-265/272HYD with these numbers
Intake .485 217 deg at .050 Exhaust .505 225 deg at .050
Heads are Brodix street heads with the Isky springs
58 MM throttlebody and 30 lb injectors It is controlled by an aftermarket Holley Commander 950 computer which can be tuned by laptop.
it pulls real strong to 5500 with a smooth torque curve. The short block was built in 1991 and has at least 60,000 miles on it I did the TPI conversion the winter of 99/2000 and have 30,000 miles on it.
It is a blast to drive.
Choose your cam to match the flow of your heads/exhaust/intake
good luck
I will be putting it on the dyno at Cruise-Fest 2004 for the first time.
Craig sr

Also call these guys

Cam Motion
2092 Dallas Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70806 USA
phone: 225-926-6110
fax: 225-923-2101

tell them everything about your motor trans and rear gear and they with Spec out a Custom Grind. I think they charge around $300 for the cam (hydraulic Roller) but I think it will be the best way to avoid the 'Cookie Cutter' Motor

Comp Cam worked well FOR me

Nice folks to chat with; quite personable and know their stuff. I doubt they want to sell you a cam that will not work well. Crane had problems matching promises with actual delivery.

In my 406: Crane PN: 12-432-8, for SBC
Grind # CS XR282HR-10 Ex Energy Hyd Roller
Intake Exhaust
Gross valve lift .51 .520
Duration @ .050 230 236
Lobe lift 3400 3470
Lobe Separation 110
Valve Timing @ .006 open 35 btdc 78 bbdc
close 67 abdc 30 atdc

Sorry, I made a table, above, but the software here dumped the spacing.

All these numbers mean a whole lot more to others than I. However, NOW THAT MY CHIP IS CORRECT the cars screams from stoplight to the 6300 rpm shutoff. The near-BB stroke of the 406 surely helps the low end.

Other parts: Dart, aluminum PRO1 heads (11:1) (wish they had angle plugs)
TPIS long tube, 3" exhaust > Flowmasters, thru stock CAT
Lingenfelter SR, totally (what a bi--h to install/seal) :mad
BBK 52mm TB feeds Bosch 30# Injectors

Car also passed CA tough SMOG laws and idles with a slight lope :D

UR so smart to do the lengthy homework B4 buying parts.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom