Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

30mph rear hit

Ripp 73

Corvette
1973 L82 Blue Coupe
I saw on a show the other day (not Corvette specific but cars in general) that said the government regulated that cars must be able to with stand a hit at 30mph from the rear and not break the fuel cell. As this is not something I personally want to try :ugh in my Corvette I was wondering if anyone knew if the 76 or there about Corvette could really withstand that kind of hit. Does not seem very likely as the fuel cell is right there. Is there a rubber bladder inside the cell? This rule came into effect I believe because of the Pinto not being able to withstand a 30mph rear hit without exploding. This rule also went into effect in 1976.

Hey Ripp,

Don't know about the 30 mph hit but there is a rubber bladder inside the tank.

Gary

If you have the original tank on your 76 like mine, there is a rubber bladder. If your tank has been replaced recently then it won't have the rubber bladder because they don't make them anymore.

I took such a hit as you describe in my 82 . I was hit by a stolen truck with stolen plates in the rear as I waited to make a left hand turn . The car was launched over 100 feet and put the left half shaft into the rear of my seat . I was knocked unconcious and the culprits [^%#@*&^*\] fled the scene . LUCKILY there was no fire ,,,,,,,,,,, and the tank maintained its integrity, when I finally came to ,,,,, I had to pop the T top to get out ,,,,,,,,. I would have burned to death possibly ,if luck was not with me that night , 9K $ to fix it .

Geo

My 79 was rearended pretty hard. I have no idea how fast the guy was travelling but it was hard enough to push me under the truck in front of me and the truck hit a car in front of it. The wreck busted every panel on my vette, including the tank. It was a small leak, but none the less it did bust the tank and bladder. It also broke the seat back. All I managed to get was a bump on the forehead and a bunch of sore joints. The bad thing about it all, I was watching the car coming in the rearview mirror and had no place to go but hang on.

My wrecked 79

Well... I'm speechless, I am glad to know that you are ok both Eddie and 4 Webers. However, it does sound like GM got on the stick and made the tank safe for hits at 30mph or less. I'd say you got hit a little harder then 30mph Eddie.

It was a sad and sore day at my house, but it is always a good day when you can be around to talk about it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom