Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

373's in a dana 36 how long?

BLACKTALON

Corvette
1994 ADMARIAL BLUE Z-51 COUPE
Hey guy's at the strip this weekend, and a club member and friend of mine has 373's in his rear end. His car came wit the 307's,but mine has the crappy 259's I jumped him out the chute but by the 660ft he pulled buy me and hard.:cry we dynoed back in Feb and my car pulled a 278/312 to his 269/308.since then I've installed a SLP intake.But my question is how long will the 373's last in my butt before the little 36 says I quit!!! I've heard tell that its only a matter of time,and the Dana 44 is the only way to go.

The day we dynoed on the highway I murdered him from 70mph

Thats odd, I would have thought that with the Higher gearing he would have pulled you hard out of the hole, unless he spun which is totally possible. You would eventually catch him though. I dont know how long they would last, but I am curious to know.

Yeah, he toasted out the chute, I jumped about a car and half and held till about the 660ft mark,when he came by me seemed like I hit the breaks,he pulled so hard,and I've got more flywheel power than him.Those 373's are leathel!!!:BOW He's now looking for drag radials.So I might not have to worry about him after the 36 has had enough!!!:L

The guy that dynoed our cars said that my 278rwhp was the highest he's ever seen on a stock LT1.:gap If I ever find a LT4 intake its gonna be off wit their heads!!!!:L

There really is no set time on how long the 36 will last. It could go on the first run or after the 50th run. Personally, I wouldn't chance it. :L

if you don,t do stupid things like 2000-3500rpm launchs or dropping th auto trans in gear at higher than normal rpms, the dana 36 rear(without slicks) will last a long time, in fact the 3.73:1 ratio puts less stress than a 3.07:1 ratio. but once you install slicks the usual tire spin that results , no longer acts like a fuse to release shock loads on the rear suspension.

Film at 11?

Ken posted pics of my broken 3.73 D-36; truly an ugly thing to behold. The monster 406 finally did it in, on a rather modest accel.

It's not totally 44 vs 36, however, according to my R.E. expert, who claimed you can break either depending on your use/abuse. After I blew my diffy, I wanted the physically larger D44 but could not find a reasonably priced unit. SO, we opted for a later design D36 and cryo-treated/hardened the internals and the case. My expert also chose gears that had two teeth contacting vs the one of the prior gear set, doubling the contact area and the power capability. I'd had no idea that vendors' designs differed so.

I opted for synthetic lube only because the exhaust pipes really heat up the diffy. He insists that non-synthetics lube better, while the 'engineered' oils tolerate high temperatures better.

My spinning rear 17" 335s (or 315s) act as a fuse, for my drivetrain.

ive had my 373's in my d36 for 2 years now. i wouldnt put slicks on her but i have no problem mashing the pedal at speed or at a standstill. i believe you'll be ok if you let the tires spin.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom