Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

3M ClearMask, anybody ever used it?

DocOhm

Corvette
2001 Coupe QuickSilver A4
A friend recommended using 3M's ClearMask (http://www.clearmask.com/) product to protect the front of my C5. He'd used it on several of his cars. I'm wondering if anyone on here has used it and if so, the results?
Save the wave!
Dave

Hi Dave,

I have it on my '03. Its installed on the front, mirrors and behind the wheel openings. It works really well at eliminating stone chips but you can definitely see it from 2ft. There is a fine line where the tape ends and up close its not as perfect as the clear coat. They say you can remove it without damaging the underlying paint. Overall, its OK. I like the protection it gives...not real crazy about the look.

Bob

Dave,
I have not applied the ClearMask to my "nose," but based upon feedback from some in my local Corvette group, I wish I had. One of things Colorado roads are famous for in any season of the year is tiny little pebbles, imbedded in the road surface that pick the moment your car rolls over them to get picked up and kicked at your car. If I had truly come to appreciate what those tiny little chippy rocks can do to a Corvette finish, prior to buying my Z06, I would have applied at the back sides of my Z06's wheel wells immediately. Live and learn, I guess.

Bottom line- I have yet to hear anyone utter a negative word about the ClearMask (other than the price for application, from the occasional chronic complainer.)

:w
-Patrick

clearmask looks as bad as the rock chips. I'd rather drive the car untill the nose starts looking crappy then have it painted and start over. I've done this a few times. Much better than having tape that you can see plain as day on the car. You'd be better of with a bra, at least you can take it on and off.

I have it on my BMW and the Vette. Mostly you don't notice it at all. I wax right over it. Best of all - no chips in the vulnerable parts. Looks a damn site better than a vinyl bra or a chipped up paint job.

I bought just the roll material about 6inches wide.I used it around the wheel wells and rear quarters . It works very well but does discolor over a year or so. I like it.

Mine was a custom kit professionally applied. Been on 3 years now. No discoloration.

I have professionally installed 3M StonGard and prefer it over putting a bra on and taking it off all the time. Yes, you can distinguish between it and paint up close, but it is not that noticeable IMO.

I used the Cleartastic kit to cover the vunerable points around the wheel wells. When I first put the kit on it looked alright, barely noticeable. However, after driving for a few miles brake dust would settle along the edges of the film, sort of outling them, looked like hell. Its too time consuming to keep removing the kit for cleaning so I scrapped that idea.

I will say a lot has to do with the color of the vehicle. Mines Mellineum Yellow and seemed to amplify the problem.

I agree with Pac-Man when the stone chips get really noticeable I'll get some painting done.

RocketJ

I have had 3m on 3 cars including my white 04 and I must say I am least happy with how it looks on the C5. On two other cars (silver and spirlal grey) it is almost unnoticable however you can quite clearly see it on my white car especially around the wheel wells. Having said that I do think it does a fine job of protecting against rock chips

I bought a 7 pc. kit for my 04. They were a son of a gun to put on and they looked like crap. I'll just have it all repainted when I need to.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom