Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

3rd clock rebuild?

mcditalia

Corvette
1966 convertible, 327 L79
Im on my 3 rd clock rebuild in approximately 6 years. First time i sent it out to the Clock Works. One year guarantee, after about a year and a half went dead. Sent it out the second time, cant exactly recall the exact name, used to be in Maryland, then moved out west. Same deal, one year guarantee, up this past winter. Started the car for the first time in April, noticed clock stopped working and out of warranty period again.

Both times i've opted for the stock mechanical rebuild, not the quartz. What am i missing here? They have to last longer than two years. Is this the norm? I have my battery hooked up to a Battery Minder Plus charger. Sends short pulses constantly as a maintainer feature. Could this be frying the clock internals over the course of many months? I really don't want to go quartz movement, but 3 rebuilds?

I can't imagine that this is "normal". I can see your frustration. Unfortunately, I'm unable to help you with your problem, but this will push this thread back to the top and hopefully someone with more experience and knowledge will jump in here and help you out. It's been almost 40 years since I had my 64, and if I remember correctly, the clock didn't work either.

I'd replace it with a quartz unit. Keep the original in a box on a shelf, just in case you lose your mind and want to prepare your car for some kind of certification. Those OEM units have been keeping several guys busy, full time for decades, and you can't even claim them as a dependent on your taxes.

I went quartz

No issues yet

Mine is broken and I have just done a bunch of reading on them. The rule of thumb based on one thing I read is that if you go mechanical they will only last approx. 2 years. This came from a watchmaker.

I'm going to save the guts and go quartz.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom