Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

4 Speed Transmission Type ??

S

Silverfox

I am original owner of a 78 Vette. I am beginning a restification and found that it has a Borg Warner T-10 4 Speed. I cannot find any RPO for the T-10 in 78. M21 and MM4 are all I can find. They do not indicate manufacturer. I am assuming they are Muncie. I would like to find out more about the 4 Speed options for 78. Someone out there must have a 78 with the T-10 in it.
My assembly sheet was found tucked away under the car and was damaged by water, dust and debris. I think I can make out that the RPO was M21. Again, I thought this was a Muncie. I bought the car off of a showroom with 452 miles on it. I was told that the dealers daughter had driven it for a couple of weeks. I am wondering if it had been changed for some reason while at the dealer.

M21 is just the RPO code for the close ratio 4-speed trans. It has nothing to do with who built the trans. Believe that by 78 Chevy had switched over to BW.

tom...

The Muncie 4-speed was replaced by the Borg-Warner T-10 (commonly called the "Super T-10") after January, 1974; the Muncie (in a specially-geared version designed for the lower-powered cars) re-appeared briefly in 1978 175hp and 185hp cars, and in 1979 195hp cars (220hp cars in 1978 and 225hp cars in 1979 used the B-W ST-10), and the Muncie was gone forever after 1979, replaced by the B-W ST-10.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom