Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

406 build as per Mr. SwaveDave's request

AKRAY4PLAY

Corvette
'77 L-82, black on black. Full mod 406 small block
here is the build i am using for my '77. it is a sb400 bored .030 to make the 406ci. the engine is on the border of not being streetable, i would not suggest anyone building a similar motor go any more radical with the cam profiles, it won't work for street use. high stall converters are suggested or manual trannies would be better.

Block:
010 alloy block bored .030 with Miloden splayed mains and ARP studs. it has been shot peened, magnafluxed and sonic checked. decked to 9.0 inches after installing deck plugs. oil by-pass has been plugged and the lifter valley dain holes have breather checkvalves installed to cut windage from the cam and crank. it has been clearenced for the rods and all casting flashing removed

Rotating Assembly:
Eagle 4340 internal balanced crank with stock 3.75" stroke. Eagle 4340 6.0" h-beam rods for floating wrist pin. JE/SRP flat top pistons with i believe 5cc valve reliefs, sorry i can't find the specifics on the pistons right now. pistons are at .000 deck and comp ratio is 10.7:1. Cloyes double roller cam timing set with two piece timing cover for easier cam adjustments.

Camshaft:
Crower special grind out of the "old spint car files". Crower part number is E-34668. advertized duration is 299int and 310exh. 1.6 ratio total lift is .586int and .590exh. duration at .050 is 244/256 with 110 lobe separation. suggested install is 106 deg intake centerline. the back side of the exhaust lobe is more rounded to better aid with nitrious that i am not running at this time. it is a hydrolic roller cam as well as the rest of the valve train.

Heads:
Air Flow Research 210 race heads with CNC porting and 2.08/1.60 valves. they have been decked to 71cc chambers and 5 angle grind on the intakes and a 4 angle on the exhaust. each chamber has been blended and matched. ports are gasket matched and painstakingly aligned with the intake and exhaust parts.

Induction:
Edlebrock air gap Victor intake with some porting and matching as well. additional 1 inch riser block/heat shield under a Barry Grant 750 Race Demon. topped off with a K&N 4" filter with drop base and K&N extreme filter lid.

Ignition:
MSD pro-billet mated to a 6AL. MSD 8.5mm wires and NGK plugs. 6800 rpm rev limiter installed.

Exhaust:
Hooker side pipes with JCL baffles, uncapped. 2.125 header tubes and everything is ceramic coated.

Extra junk:
fluid damper, Edelbrock high pressure/high volume fuel pump, Edelbrock high flow aluminum water pump, Miloden 6qt. pan with windage tray and high pressure oil pump. all 12 point stainless ARP fasteners.

that is about everything i can think of right now, if anyone has more specific questions, i will be glad to get my paper work and answer them. this combo made 606hp at 6100rpm and 588ft/lbs at 4700 rpm. unfortunately i only have a partial dyno sheet, the hard drive on the dyno computor died when were printing. it shows the best pull from 3500 to 6900 rpm. i will be glad to forward a copy to anyone that wants to see it. Brian

Sounds Awesome!

I have one small question, I'm running the exact same ignition but have only been able to find rev limiter chips in even thousands, like 6000, 7000, 8000 etc. Where did you find one with a 6800 limit?

Thanks

Re: Sounds Awesome!

Rowdy1 said:
have only been able to find rev limiter chips in even thousands, like 6000, 7000, 8000 etc. Where did you find one with a 6800 limit?Thanks

When you get new MSD chips/pills/modules ... they usually come as a set of 5 chips. MSD P/N 8746 comes w/ 6000, 6200, 6400, 6600 & 6800 chips. P/N 8745 is 5K-5.8K ... P/N 8747 is 7K-7.8K ... etc. AFAIK MSD don't pack em individually. I believe there's a company (shifnoid?) that sells a chip that you can adjust.
JACK:gap

Thnx

I got a package with the distributor, but it was like I said, all in even thousands.

Thanks

Bad A$$ heads ... emphasis $$

Clement Racing Engines near Spartangurg SC (864) 576-0141 www.houseofpower.com ... is doing something interesting. They're taking raw aluminum castings of sb Dart 18* heads & CNCing them to 16* ... but the 18* intakes still bolt-align up ... supposed to run well down low too ... 49cc chambers & 260cc intakes, 2.15" x 1.6", requires shaft rockers. The intake alone probably won't fit under a stock hood ... but if you've blown through the street sanity envelope ... what the hey?
JACK:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom