Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

415 How to? How much? Etc.

• Thread starter Thread starter FrogindaBlender
  • Start date Start date
F

FrogindaBlender

I have heard a number of you with 415s and I am curious. How were they done, who did it. How much was it (my wife will say HOW MUCH!!(if she is still breathing)). Give us the skinny. And of course how do you like it and are there any regrets, or problems. Thanks for sharing.

If im correct it does cost around 30k to have one built installed and tuned, not sure how much it would cost to do it yourself if you have the means, I think the crank itself is between 5k to 7k to start. One of these days:)

Price run down

Crank 5k
Pistons 1K
Liners 1K
Rods 1K
Lifters 500
Gaskets 600
Cams 3.2K

This is the majority of parts cost 12.4k

Then you have machine work and labor charges.
3 days of grinding to get the crank to clear the block at 80.00 an hour
Then buildout costs assembly, machine work of the liners

The other side is then port ad polish work of the top end and heads.

415 is not cheap, I went the 368 route.

Wow! Thats alot. Its like buying another engine! Any driveability issues. No one has stepped up and told us the before - after on building one yet. Please share your experience.

I'll let you know in a month what it is like. There are only about 25 415's around so finding an owner that has one is far and few between. However, there are a few people on this board that already own one.

Bottom line, if you had a relatively stock ZR1 (no cat back, headers, gears, cage, act.) and you send it to Aaron expect to pay around $30,000-$35,000 to get one done right. If you go with big valves and a Siamese plenum expect that bill to be around $36,000-$41,000. If you go to John L. add another $5,000-$7,500 to that. Aarons base model is 24,000 I believe. John L. base model 415 is $34,000. If you have an aversion to cash hemorrhages then I advise against it. I only did it because my priorities are totally out of control and the economy was doing a lot better when my car went into Aarons shop. :)

FrogindaBlender said:
Wow! Thats alot. Its like buying another engine! Any driveability issues. No one has stepped up and told us the before - after on building one yet. Please share your experience.
:)

There are a few 415s around. It all depends on how much horsepower you want. Mine is a LPE with siamese plenum and other goodies and runs really well. The cams make idle a little rough at 1k rpm but the car is very streetable. Runs as cool as a cucumber with the big radiator. Never fails to take off like a bandit when asked.

The LT5 has a better power band so my 415 LT5 is equivalent to a 350 LS1 twin turbo that makes more HP. The twin turbo C5 probably costs less to build but has less character.

Will

I recently purchased a 415 car and am learning that it is an entirely different beast than the ZR-1 that I am accustomed to driving. Wheras my 91 with a top end P&P job hums like a Singer Sewing Machine at idle, the 415 can be felt as it thumps and hammers the atmosphere around it. The power curve on the car only goes one way, up. It revs quicker than my 91 and that says something. MY 91 makes 400 WHP at 7000 RPM and is about as fast as any sane person would want. Happily, I am not sane and enjoy to no end the 30% increase in power that the Jeal car gives me. It is not the cruiser that my 91 is as the Tri-flows are load and it constantly reminds you that it is a "race car." I have not had the opportunity to fully validate the cars performance as the tires are old and hard, a situation that is soon to change. With new tires I hope to have enough traction to actually reap the benifit of massive HP and discover what this car is capable of.

A guy doesn't get something for nothing in this world, however the few inconveniences, if that, of the 415 are certainly worth it. On second thought It ain't inconvenient at all, it is a joy. All things considered I must say that I like the 415. I think I will keep it.

Joe Shown
Supreme Cloakroom Commander, Sandhill's Society of Intrepid ZR-1 Pilots
1990 415 Jeal ZR-1
1991 ZR1 # 1009:Steer

Joe, please keep us posted on dyno numbers and 1/4 mile trap speeds. I know how that car sounds, and I've heard how it runs. Unfortunately its previous owners kept us in the dark with its performance. Please Share it as soon as you have something. Enjoy that thing.. nothing like BIG CUBES + 32V!!!
Thanks!
Julio

Roger that Julio. I ordered some new tires yesterday as with the old GSC's traction is but a fantasy. I have an appointment on the 24th at the closest dyno shop which is 275 miles from my place. The car will see the strip this Spring and will also be in the 145 MPH Class at the Siver State Classic Challenge in May. Tech speed in the class is 165 MPH and I am sure the car will not break a sweat at that speed. I do not expect to drag the car more than once and have promised myself not to power the gears. I am way to familiar with Bill Boudreau and can imagine what power shifting would do that gearbox if I were to clash a gear. Power shifting excluded, I expect the car to be in the mid to low 11's. Remember that I am at 3,200 ft and we don't get the speeds like you folks do at sea level. I know that I have my work cut out for me on learning how to launch the car. I have a new set of drag radials but may borrow a friend's slicks for my trip to the strip. :Steer What I am most looking forward to is humilating the Vipers at the one mile shoot out at Arnold, Nebraska in August.:Buttslap

Joe:w

Joe , Get yourself some seat time at the track, Relax and enjoy. Everything will line up just fine. You'll master the car in short order. That sure is one honey of a car you have there. Best of luck with her.
ps: Jeal engine's have a unique sound all to their own.

:w :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom