Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

5 messages on DIC

Lakotah

Corvette
1999 Pewter coupe
Upon pulling into my garage yesterday 5 messages came up on my DIC. Low Fuel, Reduced engine power, Door ajar, Check tire pressure, Service vehicle soon. I found 33 codes which most were related to loss of communication to the TCS, PCM,BCM, IPC LDCM and RFA. Two codes I was unable to find in my service manual were U 1088 and B 0521. After deleting codes the only thing I notice now is on the passenger door neither the door lock or window buttons work. It would appear I've got a connection that's come loose to my passenger door, but I thought I might come to the Corvette Action Center first, seeing as how I was given some very valuable help on a grounding problem I had with my C-5 a while back. I checked the battery cable connections and looked around in the fuse box and see no obvious problems. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I'll check it

Pull back on the accordion boot at the door and open up the connector in the A-pillar. The connections can come loose and cause issues.

Here is a link on that. Start at 3rd picture.

My C5 dash has gone nuts and I have every message there is!!! - Corvette F

Mr. Sam,

I'll check it this morning. What ever is going on is intermittent. Yesterday afternoon the drivers door window, lock and mirror started working again. Hmmmmm. I forgot to mention of all the DTC's that were there the A1-RDCM said no communication. Where as all the others had a code number to look at. So maybe I'll find something at the connection..

I'm taking my C-5 to my Master Technician next week for some issues with a noisy air conditioning compressor, drivers seat bolsters not working and a slight smell of anti-freeze under the hood. I've spent over 8k the past few years keeping my C-5 in top shape, but at 84k miles I'm wondering how much more life this automobile has left. This is one of my pride and joys and I'd hate to let it go.

Thank's Mr. Sam

Hmmmmmm

Mr Sam,
It looks as though I've got to have the compressor replaced for the a/c. It's been leaking oil and refrigerant, some of which has been landing on the exhaust pipe causing what I thought was a hot anti-freeze smell. I guess I'm not only hard of hearing, now I'm hard of smelling also. As far as the numerous codes on the DIC which happened twice, the connections in the accordion boot seemed OK which may have caused all the codes to come up, I don't know. By some of the descriptions I've read about this exact same problem I thought for sure it would be there.
A while back I had an issue of my C-5 stalling which turned out to be a bad ground problem which I addressed and solved that issue. But you know I never found the ground wires 1,6,7, and 10 that are designated on page 8-374 in my service manual. It shows a general area and that's about it. Have you seen any pic's of those areas so finding them would be easier? My technician said he thought the issue of all the codes may be related to a bad ground in the area of the passenger door.
I have to say those pics you wanted me to see of the wiring connections were pretty good. Anyways, I have to take my C-5 back next week, as the compressor had to be ordered and his next available appointment is then. So, thanks for your help Sam. I'll keep you posted.

Could be the driver side door connection if you were trying to use that switch for the passenger door.

Not sure what schematic you were referring to. Need the name and year.

Mr. Sam

Diagram

Mr. Sam
1999 is the year. The diagram I'm referring to is an ariel view of the car body with the 13 ground estimated locations. Diagram # 73883 (cell 14: grounds grounding points) page # 8-374 in the 1998 Corvette service manual. I tried both the drivers and passengers buttons and neither side would make the window, lock or mirror operate on the passenger side. As the diagram is kinda vague on the exact locations of the grounding points and as congested as everything is in this car any help seeing exactly where these 4 locations are would be very beneficial. Thanks a lot Sam.

Will try to pull up the info.

Did you make sure the fuses are good for the door? Fuses 30 and 31 in the I/P fuse box.

Mr. Sam

The passenger door has one ground which is G202. It is at the base of the passenger door A-Pillar. Just need to remove the plastic cover and you will see it there.

Better make sure the problem is not in the connector in the door accordion. You can at least test for power and ground from it.

Mr. Sam

G202

The passenger door has one ground which is G202. It is at the base of the passenger door A-Pillar. Just need to remove the plastic cover and you will see it there.

Better make sure the problem is not in the connector in the door accordion. You can at least test for power and ground from it.

Mr. Sam

Mr. Sam,
I'll check that ground today. The passenger door lock, window and mirror are working again, so I would think the fuses are OK, but I'llcheck them to make sure they are secure. As far as the connector, I believe my mechanic checked that last week but I'll ask him about it next Wednesday when I have the a/c compressor replaced. Thanks a lot Mr. Sam. I'll keep you up-dated on what I find.

Tight spot

Mr. Sam,
I'll check that ground today. The passenger door lock, window and mirror are working again, so I would think the fuses are OK, but I'llcheck them to make sure they are secure. As far as the connector, I believe my mechanic checked that last week but I'll ask him about it next Wednesday when I have the a/c compressor replaced. Thanks a lot Mr. Sam. I'll keep you up-dated on what I find.

Mr. Sam,
OK, I checked the ground at the bottom of the passenger side post. Everything was clean and secure. I went ahead and did the drivers side now that I know exactly where it's located. The fuses look OK. I attempted to get that accordion boot loose but I'm afraid that if I continued I would not have enough of the boot left to install it properly. That's some pretty cheap rubber there plus that being an awkward spot to work doesn't help. So I'll have to think about that for a while before I ruin it completely.
Sam, I'll keep you up-dated if this problem persist and when and if I decide to go after that flexible boot again. Thanks so much for your effort on helping me with this.

back to square one

Mr. Sam. Well after checking the two additional grounds at the base of both passenger and drivers post, checking the fuses and replacing the a/c compressor (non-related), today on the DIC numerous messages came up with 31 DTC's again. Most of which refer to non-communication to control modules. Immediately I checked the passenger door lock, window and mirror. Which non of them work the first time. Today they all worked. Hmmmmm. I've actually disconnected and cleaned all grounds and made sure they were secure except for the ones located behind each seat. The battery is only a year or two old and except for when I first start the car it stays at 12.9v - 13.1v. It's an Alliance brand battery. My C-5 runs just fine, it's those messages are coming up for no apparent reason I guess. Can you think of anything that may be causing this? Thanks again.

Mr. Sam. aka dadaroo, you will be missed.

The community is lessened by our loss.

dadaroo will be missed

Mr. Sam. aka dadaroo, you will be missed.

The community is lessened by our loss.

Thanks to dadaroo I believe my issue related to all the alarm codes of all sorts that came up on the DIC when the passenger door was opened have ended. I carefully pulled out the wiring harness that goes to the passenger door, dis-connected both connectors and found in one of them a contact that visually appeared to not making good contact. By carefully pushing this contact to where it made a better contact I have not had an issue with the window, lock, mirror and alarm codes since. Dadaroos invaluable knowledge will be missed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom