Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

5 Speed in C-1

Bwmurph

Corvette
'59 Blk/Red, '12 Crystal Red GS
Hello All,

I'm planning on dropping a 5 speed (Tremec ?) in my '59. Any suggestions ? Is the Tremec the "only game in town"? How easy is it to install ? Any mods to the body / trans tunnel ?
Any information, pointers, suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bernie O

Put a Richmond Street 5-spd in my 57 in 2002. Bolted right on the bellhousing & I still am using the original driveshaft! Had to get a new front yoke/u-joint (large diameter fine spline) and fabricate my own trans mount. knocked a dent in the heat shield to clear the Long shifter 5-R linkage & that's it. Pics taken last Dec when I had to remove the trans & fix it. Two holes drilled in the X-member for the trans mount bolts were all the modifications I did. No fiberglass was harmed in the transplant of this transmission! CIMG6843.jpgCIMG6844.jpg

Hello All,

I'm planning on dropping a 5 speed (Tremec ?) in my '59. Any suggestions ? Is the Tremec the "only game in town"? How easy is it to install ? Any mods to the body / trans tunnel ?
Any information, pointers, suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bernie O

The Tremic is made by Grupo Kuo who make transmissions all over the world. They make the T56 6 speed and TR6060 6 speed. My Tremic 3550-12 was made in Mexico by Grupo Kuo. Hurst Powertrain, GM Performance and a host of other suppliers can and will get you a 5 or 6 speed manual for your Corvette. Search the internet 5,6 speed manual transmission and you will have many options. Select by price or warranty as you prefer.

Mark.

Hagan / Sebring,

Thanks for the input. Still not sure which way I'm going to go, but I will definitely give the Richmond a look. I don't race the car and only occasionally "put my foot in it", so I don't need anything with massive torque / horsepower ratings. I just want a good, dependable OD transmission that I can, hopefully, install myself and cut down on the RPM's at highway speeds.

The search begins, I guess.

Bernie O

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom