Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'59 Windlace installation

Chevyman for life

Honest out there, I didn't take this '59 apart. It was sitting for 32 years with boxes of parts thrown together. Actually not much of the original parts were salvageable so I've ordered a lot of stuff. And even though I'm almost through with the complete restoration some of the small stuff is there to haunt me.

Question for today: I am putting the kick panels together and also have the windlace for them. Does the windlace go between the checkerboard aluminum plate and the fiberglass kick panel or does it go between the fiberglass kick plate and the main body? In either case how is it attached - with glue, staples or just stuffed behind it? The assembly manual only tells you to tuck the end under the dash cap.

Thanks in advance.

Gerry

Ace,
Thanks for the reply. That does make sense but I just wanted to make sure I didn't mess the parts up.

The owner decided on the AutoSound speaker kick panels (partly because the originals were broken and previously trashed). The driver side fits fairly well with original stainless trim but the passenger side (these are molded in ABS) is incorrect. I am fabricating new aluminum inserts from a correct waffle aluminum sheet because the originals don't fit even close on the pass side. I made a wood buck to fold the edge over but the buck had to be different for each side (to match the incorrectly molded plastic passenger kick panel).

Then I had to rebend the stainless trim to fit, not an easy chore as it is tough metal and would rather kink where the tabs are than bend.

A quick mock up with the heater cover and package tray looks like that will also be a challenge to fit just right. The ABS kick panels just aren't exact replica shape but somehow I'll get it together.

Nothing seems to go easy on this particular '59. Should be worth it in the end though but I'm eating a lot of the costs as there are just too many hours in this car (so far about 1700 charged). I've done all the mechanical, body work and painting. Seats and soft top will be farmed out but the owner wants the hard top restored too.

Hope to get the kick panels finished today but I think the wife has some other plans so it may drag on.

I will get some pictures of the project out, to pick up where I left off in the forum right after painting(" '59 Corvette Project" 12-11-08), as soon as it is together (minus tops).

Gerry

Gerry, It's sounds like me some times on my cars. I have 57 chevy 2dr ht that i had been working on. My 61 vette i have owed since 1970 and decided to finish it and put 57 in the back corner. I don't know why i was putting 57 chevy before my vette. I may need some advise when i get to doing the body work. I don't have much body work,but will need some help. Good luck with your project. Ace

Kick panel pics

I finished the Autosound kickpanel project and have them installed. They needed more trimming to get them to fit but look nice. (See posting 2 back for description of the project)

Making the waffle pattern look right (black background with aluminum ridges) wasn't as easy as I thought. I figured I could just paint with a lacquer base, then wipe the ridges with a little thinner. Unfortunately the ridges aren't very high so some of the background got wiped too. I ended up spraying the black and when dry I wet sanded the ridges with 600 paper.

Here's a few pictures of the project showing the buck (note original trim panel, dented and painted aluminum) and one finished kick panel.

Gerry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom