Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'64 barn find and some BB heads?

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
Well I got over to the uncle today to see what he had in corvettes....check out the C4 section, he has an '88 with 1600 miles on it....looked like it just came out of the showroom!!

The C2 he has is a '64 with 91,000 miles, it has been repainted, automatic, power steering, power brakes and original AC. He had the original bill of sale to the first owner from the dealer back on March 23, 1964. It was sold out of Nester Chevy in Laurel, Mississippi to a Rear Admiral (go figure!)

The list of options included the following:
AC
PB Radio
PG Transmission
Power Steering
Tinted W/S
300 HP Engine
Power Brakes
670x15 W/W Tires
Super Sport Trim
Positraction Rear Axle
Back-up Lamps

Car needs much of the exterior trim pieces to be replaced, the interior had a few bad pieces but was for the most part in good shape. The engine compartment was also in great shape with the original motor. There were some areas needing attention. The car had been repainted along the way and it needs attention again. Here are some pictures.

the barns that the cars were in......
smallIMG_4127-vi.jpg

stuck in the back of one of the containers sat this 64 coupe....
small3IMG_4124-vi.jpg

paint needs to be stripped.....but the car seems real solid and form what I could tell form looking underneath the frame appeared that at some time someone must have done a restoration, underneath was in real good shape.

small3IMG_4099-vi.jpg

small3IMG_4097-vi.jpg

what year was the first year for the casting fault in the valve covers in the Corvette? I didnt think it was till later than 64...it was in these valve covers....and not in my valve covers in my 64......anyone know when that first showed up?

small3IMG_4098-vi.jpg

small3IMG_4125-vi.jpg

some shots under the car......

small3IMG_4109-vi.jpg

small3IMG_4108-vi.jpg

tags from under the glove box....

small3IMG_4104-vi.jpg

small3IMG_4105-vi.jpg

Corvette Magazine price guide lists the value of this car somewhere between $22,500 and $26,900. I realize that there aren't enough pictures here to make a real good judgement, but what do you think it is worth?

In one of the containers that had a vette in it ( I think it was the one with the '86 in it) there were these 6 heads....looked to be big block heads to me...what do you think they fit? It looked to me that 4 of them were cast iron and had been painted silver (got silver paint all over my hands), but the bottom two looked to me to be aluminum.....here are some pictures of them...also here are some of the part numbers I pulled off the heads...3988820 (aluminum heads?), 353049, 336781, 358048. Any ideas?

small2IMG_4115-vi.jpg

small2IMG_4117-vi.jpg

small2IMG_4116-vi.jpg

small2IMG_4121-vi.jpg

small2IMG_4122-vi.jpg

There was so much stuff there.....who knows what else was there...check out the C4 forum for my pictures of the 1600 mile '88 that was show room new....amazing stuff these two brothers had collected over the years...

comments?

thanks, Herb

Herb

its sad you lost some one,But as a corvette aficeanado I hope your able to help the family in liquidating the assets and turning the collection into something the family can make better use of. I have no idea on prices.

Best of luck where is he located i would voulenteer a week end to help inventory the stuff with you.

thanks for the offer Larry.....but there is so much stuff there....it is amazing...literally a lifetime of collecting all kinds of things from boats to parts to Corvettes to front end loaders to at least 2 kubota tractors that were covered with tarps....there was trailer after trailer with stuff in them....one trailer had 4 new motorcycles in it.....really amazing....the family doesnt live by me.....and as such I don't think the remaining uncle wants help doing anything just yet, I think he is trying to establish some values on the bigger pieces.....but the stuff that was there...WOW.....I am told that they have another lot that also has trailers with stuff in them....who knows what it is....the 4 Corvettes were at this yard....there was one more vette, an 81 that he had just gotten out of storage and had sold to a close friend before he died.....shame of it all, his death could have been avoided with regular visits to the doctor and doing something about some of the warnings that they had in advance.....

Mississippi eh ? Send that Vette home! haha

Great stuff - sorry for your loss.
Good luck in helping the family get the ball rolling.
Rain

Herb, the heads are all cast iron, and most are from '70-'73 passenger car 402's and 454's and Corvette 454's. The valve cover casting flaw started in late '66.

:beer

my oh my, would I love to have that 64 Daytona Blue coupe - that has alwyas been my #1 color choice (Milano Maroon was a close second, but it allowed me to get a 65).

I never seem to be related to the right people . . . . ..

Just off the top of my head I don't think that the 300 horse came with cast valve covers so they were probably added later.

Tom

IH2LOSE said:
Herb

its sad you lost some one,But as a corvette aficeanado I hope your able to help the family in liquidating the assets and turning the collection into something the family can make better use of. I have no idea on prices.

Best of luck where is he located i would voulenteer a week end to help inventory the stuff with you.

I'm not too far away either if you need some help. There are a couple other members close by that I'm sure would come over for at least a day. It looks like a big job ahead of you.

Tom

JohnZ said:
Herb, the heads are all cast iron, and most are from '70-'73 passenger car 402's and 454's and Corvette 454's. :beer

Do they have any value now? If so, what would be a good guess for them? They were bare for the most part...no springs or valves in them. I told the uncle that I would try and find out for him.

Tom Bryant said:
I'm not too far away either if you need some help. There are a couple other members close by that I'm sure would come over for at least a day. It looks like a big job ahead of you.

Tom
The cars are not in Ohio....I had to fly to get there and just got home tonight.....I do appreciate everyones kind offer....but I know the uncle wants to go slow, it is just his way....so for now I am going to see what I can come up with for value for the cars and see what happens....he needs to work through the attorney's to get to the point where he can sell the cars, he is a ways away from that point. When I asked about the titles, he didn't know where they were at...he had to find them yet.....

Tom Bryant said:
Just off the top of my head I don't think that the 300 horse came with cast valve covers so they were probably added later.

Tom
makes sense....I saw the casting flaw in the covers and knew that my '64 365hp did not have the flaws and I thought that the flaws came in later years, as John Z pointed out they showed up in '66...so it makes sense that they were not original....but then the paint isnt either....

firstgear said:
makes sense....I saw the casting flaw in the covers and knew that my '64 365hp did not have the flaws and I thought that the flaws came in later years, as John Z pointed out they showed up in '66...so it makes sense that they were not original....but then the paint isnt either....

that coupe is sporting the code for Daytona Blue paint, fyi

ctjackster said:
that coupe is sporting the code for Daytona Blue paint, fyi
thanks....I haven't had time yet to see what the codes meant....but with a blue interior, I figured it had to have a blue exterior....at least that is the way I would have wanted the car....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom