Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

64 Connecting Rods

JeffW

Corvette
Are all 64 327 rods the same or were the HP and FI rods different?
Thanks, Jeff

Jeff,
All 1964 327 rods are the same. An improvment was made in '65 or '66 depending on who you talk to. Bill

Photo below shows the '66-up small-journal rods - note the "bump" in the machined edge adjacent to the head of the rod bolt, where material was added. Earlier rods were weak in this area. I wouldn't re-use any pre-'66 Chevy rods, especially in a performance application.

:beer

Thanks Bill and John. So John if I were building a 64 L76 You would recommend using later rods....
Jeff

I wouldn't mess around with a set of reconditioned stock rods or even new stock rods with ARP fasteners when you can get a set like this for this price. These rods will take anything your solid lifter 327 can dish out without worry.They are also a balanced set with ARP fasteners.

RODS

Tom

the GM PM rods are also a good deal part# 12495071 for a set of 8 and are good for 500 HP. cost about $280

Jeff needs a small journal 2.00 inch big end rod for the '64 engine. The 071 is a 2.10 big journal.

Yep... need 2 inch. Will moving away from an original rod hurt value? Does PM stand for powder metalurgy? Are they as good as forged?
Thanks for all of the comments and direction.
Jeff

Yep... need 2 inch. Will moving away from an original rod hurt value?

Not to me - if I was considering a 60's Corvette and knew it had upgraded rods, that would be a plus - the early rods are the only weak link in the engine.

:beer

Thanks guys,
Then all this being said I should probably look at a new aftermarket crank too and not depend on an old one...... I just worry about devaluing my car for non original components.
Jeff

327 forged cranks are an excellent part and unless it's damaged or won't pass a magnaflux test I would have no problem using it. If it isn't gouged or scuffed on any of the journals I'd just have it polished, not turned down, checked for straightness and balanced.

With all this talk about aftermarket rods and cranks, I'd like to know to what level this 327 will be modified and what's going to be its duty cycle. I ask because it sounds like this is a lot more than just an OE restoratio.

I am a real original type person. That why I questioned the use of aftermarket components and the possible impact to value. I am not building a race car... I am looking for a correct OE restoration but also do not want to build a time bomb. Thanks fo all of the inputs guys.
Jeff

Jeff if you are going to let a prospective buyer tear down the engine before he buys it you are a far more understanding person than I am :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom