Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

64 convertible top problem

jwhunter

Corvette
64 BLACK CONVERTIBLE, 05 Coupe, Daytona Orange
I had a new soft top installed with new weather striping ( cost a forture) The problem is the top fits too low just above the rear top edge of the door. When the door is closed it pushes the weather striping toward the inside of the car. This has pulled the weather striping away from the attaching screw (t-shaped) and distroyed this piece of the weather stiping. I tried to raise the top frame to clear the door, but then I could not get the top to close at the top of the windshield and the deck lid. Has anyone experienced this problem? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

jwhunter said:
I had a new soft top installed with new weather striping ( cost a forture) The problem is the top fits too low just above the rear top edge of the door. When the door is closed it pushes the weather striping toward the inside of the car. This has pulled the weather striping away from the attaching screw (t-shaped) and distroyed this piece of the weather stiping. I tried to raise the top frame to clear the door, but then I could not get the top to close at the top of the windshield and the deck lid. Has anyone experienced this problem? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure how to fix this,but hopefully some one will chime in,can you post a picture of it? I would be real cautious on making any adjustment untill you know for sure how to start. before I sent my 66 in for a new top I spent hours adjusting it perfect,I then adjusted my windows correct and I pointed all of this out to the top guy prior to turning the car over to him, I pointed out all of my seams and explained that how I exspected to get it back.Now that you have a new top on it you should be carefull not to tweak it one way too much and cause a tear or a tight spot in the top.You may be better off letting the top guy give it a shot.

Best of luck

PS the majority of my adjustment were done with the windows.

I started with door caps,then the stricker,then the windows mating up to the weatherstrip,

The single most critical part of installing a new top is to adjust the frame and weatherstripping and door glass so it all meets/fits properly before beginning to install the top pads and skin. I'd take it back to the top installer and have him do it correctly.

:beer

John is right. I also suspect your canvas is ruined because your installer did not know what he was doing ( to adjust, he will have to unstaple the top and it may be cut too short now). Hope you paid with a credit card.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom