Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

64 Optima & headers

vigman

Motor head!!!!
Corvette
88 Convert ( SOLD ) /1973 coupe 4 speed/1964 Vert!
So I KNOW why my Optima was discharging..

The space between the header and the Optima ( which is like 5 inches )

The header generates enought heat.. to weaken the plastic....

When I pulled out mine today.. there was a heat stress mark and a little ball of lead poking out..like a blob of solder..

So the old batts NG
I have to come up with some clever mod to sheild the batt from the header heat.I also need to totally rework my battery tray....

So I KNOW why my Optima was discharging..

The space between the header and the Optima ( which is like 5 inches )

The header generates enought heat.. to weaken the plastic....

When I pulled out mine today.. there was a heat stress mark and a little ball of lead poking out..like a blob of solder..

So the old batts NG
I have to come up with some clever mod to sheild the batt from the header heat.I also need to totally rework my battery tray....
Didn't it orginally have a battery shield there as std equip. Thought it did. Will have to check some vendors catalogs, etc. If I come up with something i'll let you know. Maybe some of the others can chime in here.

Yep. My '67 came from the factory with a metal heatshield covering the front side and driver side of the battery. The battery is located on the passenger side just below the heater box.

The 502 with headers runs extremely hot under the hood, but I've had no battery problems.

I see it

I don't have one ( adding to the list )

Thanks guys!

That simple shield is basically just a friction fit under the battery. It certainly does reflect radiant heat from the exhaust manifold away. Mind you, mine are stock manifolds but I have not had battery problems for years. I have never used headers so that may be another ball-game. As with spark-plug wires, boots, etc. when using aftermarket exhaust parts. But for the price of that shield you can't do wrong.

Here is another type, from my 63. Covers front and engine side of battery, battery hold down bolts retain and keep the shield from vibrating. No flames about the frost growing on the Pos. terminal.

P1000504.jpg

:beer

Andy

I Have my Optima wraped in a starter heat sheild fire retardant cover. I glued a Velcro strip on both ends and it covers the complete battery. It's been on there for 3 .1/2 yeras now.
Check Summit if your interested..

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom