Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 64 rear spindle

korvettekarl

Corvette
2017 Grand Sport 90 ZR1 57 Bel Air
Can anybody give me some instructions to change the rear spindle bearings on 64? Special tools? Pictures? Any help is greatly appreciated.

The quick answers are
1) The instructions are in the factory service manual.

2) Yes. Special tools and, perhaps parts, are required. The main stumbling block to this being a DIY activity is the need for a hydraulic press (typically a 20-ton unit) and the tools that go with it which are used to remove and install the outer bearing. Special shims may be needed to set-up the new bearings per the service manual.

Thanks Hib. I do have a 40 ton press. I guess I will have to find a factory service manual. Thanks for the fast reply.

I haven't personally done this job, but I read a lot about it both in the manual and on the various web forums; I've forgotten the details, but I remember that it's a risky job for a novice to attempt, at best.

Without a lot of fancy tool$, you have to set the proper tolerances by trial & error, and your chances are slim of assembling and disassembling the rear bearings (using a heavy press) multiple times without screwing up some of the parts in that process. My reading convinced me not to attempt it, and I consider myself a pretty decent wrench. I sent mine to Van Steel http://www.vansteel.com/ but that was some years back.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to give it try. I will order the parts and a factory service manual.

Unless you're going to do more than one set, the cost of the tools & the learning curve will be more expensive than van steel or bair's.

Thanks Hib. I do have a 40 ton press. I guess I will have to find a factory service manual. Thanks for the fast reply.

A 40-ton should do it.

Obviously, you also need the bearing removal tool that goes with the press.

As for parts you need bearings, seals and some of the shims.

The manual instructs you to set-up the bearings .003-010. and for a drum brake car that will work ok. For disc brakes, I recommend setting it at .003 and surface-grinding shims to get there, if you have to.

I noticed that. Thanks for everyone's answers. Halfway done. I bought the bearing remover. Nice tool but a little pricey. Oh well. I prefer to do as much as I can.

Had to take a couple weeks off. Blew my joint sack on my right elbow. Very painful. It swelled up to the size of a baseball. trailing arms are done and I am installing the halfshafts today. Thanks again to everybody for thier replies.

What did you end up setting the endplay to?? Sorry to hear of the elbow.

End play was set at .002 on the right and .003 on the left. Quite a learning experience. Used a brake flaring tool from my Blue Point brake tube flaring kit to flare the the bushings on the trailing arms. Worked excellent. Couldn't tell which was the factory flare and which was mine. I made a simple tool to press the bushings together. Half inch plate on one side and 1/4 inch on the other with a 7/8 hole on the 1/4 plate. Had fun and learned another process. Also found my 66 factory manual that I bought when my daughter had a 66 Chevelle. It included the Corvette as well as Impala and Nova. Thanks for the link to Vette Mod. VERY informative.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom