Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

64 temperature gauge.

jwhunter

Corvette
64 BLACK CONVERTIBLE, 05 Coupe, Daytona Orange
I have temperature gauge that does not work. I replaced the sending unit with a new correct one. The sending unit works but the gauge doesn't. How can I check out the gauge without removing the instrument panel. Thanks for any suggestions.

temp gauge

One side of the gauge should have 12v power, the other side goes to the sender.

When you disconnect the sender, the gauge should "peg".

If it does not, check for 12v at the gauge on the wire that I believe will be orange? The other wire (green?blue?) is the one that goes to the sender. I am going from memory, you should check a shop manual.

Also, check fuses and case grounding of the gauge.

John

jwhunter said:
I have temperature gauge that does not work. I replaced the sending unit with a new correct one. The sending unit works but the gauge doesn't. How can I check out the gauge without removing the instrument panel. Thanks for any suggestions.

Assuming the fuse checks OK and you see 12V at the black/pink wire to the gauge, if you can get to the back of the gauge, pull the connector off - should be a 2-cavity connector with a dark green wire (sender) and a power wire (black/pink). Run a jumper wire from the black/pink wire terminal in the connector to the power terminal on the gauge (NOT the other terminal for the green sender wire). With the ignition on, the gauge should peg on cold. Now run a jumper wire from the sender (green wire) terminal on the gauge to ground, and the gauge should peg to hot. This checks the gauge itself.

If the gauge checks OK, it may be a corroded terminal for the sender wire in the inboard multiple connector on the engine side of the fuse block; see if you have continuity from the green wire terminal in the gauge connector to the connector at the sendng unit.
:beer

Answer to check the GAUGE, it will have to be removed. It can be removed without pulling the cluster, if you pull the seat and have the proper tools - a full set of 1/4 inch drive tools.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom