Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

64 Windscreen Wiper

C

col wolf

I am still looking for some help on my 1964 windscreen wiper assembly. Does anyone have an exploded parts view, or a diagram of how it works. It is an absolute mystery to me.

The problems are firstly, the wipers will not turn off, unless I disconnect the battery. This must have something to do with the latching mechanism and solenoid. Secondly, the windscreen washer pawl is banging away over every cog on the ratchet. Maybe something has broken off, a spring come off, or the pumper assembly is jammed.

Subfixer - Thanks for your info about taking the glove box out to get at the windscreen wiper assembly bolts. My car is right hand drive, and I do not want to take the instrument panel and all that stuff out and then take the wiper assembly out just to see if I can nut out how the mechanism works and how to fix it.

Col Wolf

The 1963 Corvette Shop Manual has an excellent section on operation, maintenance, repair, and diagnostics for the wiper motor, with lots of illustrations and text.

Just wanted to know how you're making out with the wiper motor on your 64. I have a '64 and my wiper motor won't go off either. I'll have to do the same fix your'e doing.

Please keep me informed.

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck,

I cannot tell you much of technical significance. I removed the window washer pump. It is held on by just four self tapping hex hd screws. I made up a blanking plate in its place. Someone had already installed an aftermarket electric motor pump. Inexpensive item from Super-Cheap or Auto-Mart. I re-connected the wiring to it and it works fine. I do not need the windscreen washer to work at all. Whatl I needed was to stop the obvious destructive banging of the mechanism. Sounded like something would break very quickly. I spoke to three other mid year owners in my club, and found that all had removed the mechanical pump. In the interests of authenticity, I would like to get the old pump going again, but as I said, it is a mystery. Maybe I have lost a part, like a return spring.

As far as windscreen wipers turning off, goes, I used the magic fluid ,WD-40. With the pump removed, I could see the relay and latch mechansim. I just sprayed the mechanism, and it fixed itself. Probably 40 years of dirt and crud in there somewhere.

Col Wolf

Thanks Col Wolf

WD40 it is!!!

Chuck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom